Blue Screen Of Death, and then....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Screen Of Death, and then....

Lastnight, around 12:30, I was browsing the web, and listening to music, when all of a sudden my computer pops a blue screen of death. I thought nothing of it, and simply reset the computer. Well, there was no resetting to be done. Nothing happens when I turn it on now. The hard drives spin, the cd roms blink for a second like normal, but nothing after that. My monitor does not come out of standby. My USB keyboard and mouse do not flash anymore when I turn the computer on.

Does anyone know what I can do to diagnose the problem?

Here's what I've done so far.

I've removed all devices except for keyboard, mouse, vidcard. Still the same result.
    I've removed, and refooted the video card, memory, and processor.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Blue Screen Of Death, and then....

Little update.... I've been able to get the computer to boot up to the windows xp logon screen. As soon as I plug in my USB kb/mouse, the computer shuts off. I've tested the kb/mouse on my other computer, and they are fine.

I've been able to get into bios several times, and reset the values. However, once I save and exit, the computer gets no where.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Try a PS2 keyboard and mouse. Sounds like you might need to reinstall windows.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I've been seaching the web all am... I hit the power button, and it doesn't even get as far as posting the bios. I've followed directions on removing everything but the vid card, still nadda. I've even remved every extra piece on the board (even cpu). I'm STILL supposed to hear an error beep, letting me know that the mobo cant find the video card.... I've come to the conclusion that it's my mobo.

And YES, I've already tried the "tap, smash, kick, drop and punch" methods to try and rattle the parts back together. No difference.. ;)

Any more suggestions before I empty my account?

Comment

Are you using IE or firefox.
          Remove battery from the motheroard and then click the power on so that it displaces all the power on the system. Then put that battery back in and restart the PC, that should reset all settings....try that
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

You've narrowed it down to motherboard/powersupply.

Might be time to upgrade that powersupply! If that don't fix it, well it was probably time to upgrade the motherboard anyway... am I right?

Comment

If you get into bios, check your power rails, make sure they're at the right levels and whatnot. Might just be that your PSU is fritzing. But yes, you've deffinantly narrowed it to PSU/Mobo related issue. If you have a second known PSU that works, try plugging that in and see if you can get anywhere. If not, your mobo is probably dead.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Alright, tech support :) Weeeee!!

I'm guessing motherboard. here's why. You said that when you plug in the USB keyboard / mouse, it gives you problems, and the USB points are powered by motherboard power, not PS power. If you can get into the bios, check all the levels, see if you can find anything problematic. Turn off your USB ports, (advanced chip set features usually). Turn off plug and play (your not plugging anything in till it works again).
                on a second computer get a diag disk burned / or made, and pop it in
                run a ram check, run every sort of check you can find.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

that will defiantly help you. (always keep one around, for when the time comes.
                Next, if that doesn't work, swap out your PS with a crappy one. (it's much cheaper to get a PS and replace it, for a just in case thing, then buying a new MoBo.
                replace pieces one at a time until you get the damned thing to work, once you can identify the piece, your set.

I had a crack on my old mobo between the north bridge and south bridge, but nothing would happen unless i was using both USB ports AND my ether net card at the same time... took me 5-6 days to figure out what triggered it, and another 2-3 to find the crack.
                Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Sounds like one time when I had a cracked solder ball on one of the BGA chipset chips. Pressing the top of the chip would make the mobo reliable. It was under a PCI card and adjacent to a DIMM slot so taking cards and memory in and out would make the mobo maybe work or maybe stop working as the gap in the solder ball maybe closed. Once I figured it out, I put some post-its under the overhanging PCI board to put pressure on the chip (it was one that runs cool, so no overheating issue), until I could get a replacement mobo shipped. (Got it a couple days later from Micron. This was a few years ago.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss
                    And YES, I've already tried the "tap, smash, kick, drop and punch" methods to try and rattle the parts back together. No difference.. ;)
                    It seems that this method ultimately worked. Mybe it was sick of the torture, and gave up on giving me a hard time...

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss
                      It seems that this method ultimately worked. Mybe it was sick of the torture, and gave up on giving me a hard time...
                      Are all your fans operational? Or did any of them go out?

I remember I had similar symptons once when my computer was overheating.

Have you tried running the computer without the cover on in an open-air area?
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

All the fans are fine, my CPU runs cold, which is good. I have 6 case fans, so ventilation is not a problem.

Everything is just fine now. There must have been something that "slipped" or "fell" in the mobo causing a short. After removing, refooting and wiggling all parts, everything seems to be fine.

Comment

When this happened to me it was because I had a 20 pin atx in a 24 pin sockets (I was told this was fine and it wasn't) try getting a 24 pin supply if you don't already).
                          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X