Widescreen LCD users - sound off!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen LCD users - sound off!

Hey guys, looking to snag a new LCD, and a widescreen is appealing - but, I'm uncertain of their performance with games, and more importantly how older games appear on them. So all you widescreen users, could you post your widescreen LCD model, and describe the pros and cons you've had to far - Also, would you recommend it to a friend?

I do the following on my pcs - surf, office, DV editing, gaming, DVDs/movies...pretty much everything, so versatility and performance are important.

Thanks!
    |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Re: Widescreen LCD users - sound off!

I bought a Dell 2405FPW - 24" widescreen flat panel.
    I absolutely love it.
    I have had zero issues with it but sometimes it's a pain to get a game set to an unsupported resolution. In that case the best place I've found is http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/
    Worst case you set the screen to aspect (I believe) and it will just have black bars at the sides. Really not a big deal.

I would definitely recommend one!
    The 2005FPW is also nice. with a native res of 1680x1050.
    My 24" native resolutiuon is 1920x1200.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Scooper, I've heard from some that larger monitors can actually be more difficult to game with - I believe the complaint is that action occuring at the edge of the visible screen is in your peripheral vision area, whereas it is within the main vision area of a gamer iwth a smaller screen. What's been your experience with this?
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I've got dual 20" Dell widescreen LCD's. Native resolution is 1680x1050. I haven't had any issues with it, the games I play can either run at that resolution or be made to run at that resolution. I've been very happy with this setup and would never go back to CRT's or to a single monitor ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Scooper
          In that case the best place I've found is http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/
          Awesome site, thanks for the link!

I've asked another mailing list too of professionals I've known for years, and everyone seems to recommend the Dells... Tho Dell sues Samsung panels, and are built by BenQ apparently! The specs on the Dells however are a little dated now, I'd really like an 8ms response that all other manufacturers offer... I'm using an 4:3 LG with a 12ms RR on loan from work and I wouldnt buy one, and I only watch movies in widescreen so the wide format LD makes sense for me (plus my own movies are in 16:9 also)

JMJ - I officially envy you, I -should- have dual screens for my DV editing, it's so much more productive, but cost is an issue at the moment ;)
          |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

I believe Dell is in the process of revamping its LCD offerings right now.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
              Scooper, I've heard from some that larger monitors can actually be more difficult to game with - I believe the complaint is that action occuring at the edge of the visible screen is in your peripheral vision area, whereas it is within the main vision area of a gamer iwth a smaller screen. What's been your experience with this?
              In my experience this is a non-issue.
              The monitor is almost too big at first but the adjustment takes little time.
              After the honkin 22" CRT I have so much desk space now that I push it on back and can see the edges just fine.

The response time thing is a minor isse with 16ms being rather slow compared to newer faster panels.
              That too, to me, is a non-issue.
              I noticed slight blurring when turning VERY fast, but in testing I found that turning fast enough to be a problem is too fast to be doing any aiming. Again the little blurring I was able to produce turned out to be no problem after a day or two of adjusting to it. Not to mention the fact that the blurring doesn't "ghost" on the screen... it's gone the instant your movements slow or stop.
              The clarity, brightness and size more than make up for any minor cons imo.

I too will never go back to CRT!

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

20" Dell Widescreen and they only way you'd ever get me to stop using it would be to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Take a look around the web for Dell coupons for their widescreens - you can get them quite chea[ that way (I got my 20" for $370 in Nov with coupons).

Comment

Right now on fatwallet it's around $336 through Dell Small Business, mind you this is not the newer FPW but at this price it's hard to beat. I've got the Dell 2001FP, haven't moved to widescreen yet but resisting buying another 20 at this price is difficult.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X