Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS Flash-Any pointers before i mess up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Flash-Any pointers before i mess up?

After my never ending hardware thread about my new 7800 GT not performing as it should ive decided to do a motherboard BIOS flash, the current version is dated around 2004 and hopefully this may fix my problem (or just create another one).

Many of you might think...2 months and you haven't tried this? But ive been very hesitant. Ive seen so many problems of BIOS flash failure I just didnt want it to happen to me, but with this really my last option so its worth a shot. right now ive just formatted a couple floppy disks and created an MS Dos Startup disk on one, and placed new BIOS files on another.

So heres what the files and Readme looks like for me:

So can anyone give any pointers as to what ill have to do? Yeah ive read it...i just want to make sure I get it all right. And finally how long should i expect it to take updating?

Any help would be appreciated
    Strike

Re: BIOS Flash-Any pointers before i mess up?

I have none. Most motherboards have fail safes if you flash it bad. I beleive you can reset the BIOS or some mobos have dual Bios. Just make sure you have the correct version and you should be fine.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

The update shouldn't take more than a minute or so. You'll have to go in to the BIOS setup afterwards to set everything back up again. If you don't know what that entails, then you may wanna go in to the setup beforehand and make notes.

I don't much like doing BIOS flashes either. If I'm having a problem, I go look at the release notes for more recent BIOS versions and see if changes could fix my problem. Otherwise, I don't mess with it.

Not all boards have the dual BIOS stuff.. IIRC, it's mainly the Gigabyte boards that do. I'd rather do it right than have to worry about the failsafe ;)
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

You may want to set your current BIOS to default before flashing - seems like I read that somewhere.
        Then just follow the instuctions to the letter. The utility will check the validity of your new file.

What kind of board do you have?
        The ASUS boards I've been using for a while now have an easy updater.
        It's a little utility that will let you flash your BIOS from within Windows.
        Very simple, then you reboot. - then you tweak settings from scratch and go.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Originally posted by Scooper
          You may want to set your current BIOS to default before flashing - seems like I read that somewhere.
          Then just follow the instuctions to the letter. The utility will check the validity of your new file.

What kind of board do you have?
          The ASUS boards I've been using for a while now have an easy updater.
          It's a little utility that will let you flash your BIOS from within Windows.
          Very simple, then you reboot. - then you tweak settings from scratch and go.
          Its an Acer I91M motherboard and doesn't have any release notes, i simply go to the section on the Acer site and download it for my PC.

Ive also read about resetting BIOS back to default before you do it, so i'll be sure to do that.

With it being an Acer motherboard it comes with no flash utility, or just my PC doesn't have it in it's download section so i just have to follow the instructions posted above.

Comment

I just know you need to make sure there will be no power interruptions while you flash. So if you don't have a backup power supply, make sure it's not storming, etc. It's not a very long process, though, 1-2 minutes is correct.

Not to scare you, but I've only flashed BIOS with floppies in the past and last summer I tried one of those "E-Z BIOS update!!" programs that came with my Foxconn mobo and the darn thing became a doorstop. I visited the company's website after the fact and there was a message in bold lettering that said "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THE BIOS AUTO-UPDATE PROGRAM THAT CAME WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD!!!" approximately. Luckily I had purchased the mobo through Newegg and they no longer carried it so they just refunded my $$.

You probably can't go wrong with floppies, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon
              I just know you need to make sure there will be no power interruptions while you flash. So if you don't have a backup power supply, make sure it's not storming, etc. It's not a very long process, though, 1-2 minutes is correct.

Not to scare you, but I've only flashed BIOS with floppies in the past and last summer I tried one of those "E-Z BIOS update!!" programs that came with my Foxconn mobo and the darn thing became a doorstop. I visited the company's website after the fact and there was a message in bold lettering that said "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THE BIOS AUTO-UPDATE PROGRAM THAT CAME WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD!!!" approximately. Luckily I had purchased the mobo through Newegg and they no longer carried it so they just refunded my $$.

You probably can't go wrong with floppies, though...
              Ah thanks, i never have power interruptions. Knowing my luck the city's power grid will go down just as im flashing my BIOS :)

Just to be 100% sure. I boot from floppy, Black screen comes up with A:// . Then following the instructions above i simply type MO0034p.bat and hit enter?

Comment

I hate companies that require that you flash from a floppy. Floppies are incredibly unreliable. My latest machine (home brew with DFI mobo) has no floppy. Most new systems can boot from CD or USB memory stick, so the downloadable flash utilities ought to come as bootable ISO files. There's also a Windows flash utility that some mobo makers are starting to use, but that screws those who only boot Linux. (Ideally, the bootable CD image should use a tiny Linux distro, as it's very well-suited for embedded use like this. No need to scare end users by telling them that they're booting Linux, which is also used for TiVo and Linksys routers.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X