taking off the Processor heatsink fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking off the Processor heatsink fan

Hi, So i baught the antect sonata II , to find that it was as loud as my old hp 4 yr old case, I found out why, its my processor fan, its so dam noisy, if that wasnt in there then the system would be peacefull, The cpu is a Sempron 3300+ , Would removing the fan of the cpu cause any major harm or be dangerous? i mean in the sonata i have a massive fan blowing over my board that if i put on medium i can't hear it, is this too risky or is this fine? thanks.
    Abehep

Re: taking off the Processor heatsink fan

Originally posted by Bonehead
    I would definately NOT remove the fan off your CPU cooler, especially on an AMD processor.
    Is this bad? :D
    Code:
    fan1:        0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 8)
    CPU Temp:    +32°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +45°C)   sensor = thermistor
    Mind you, I have a Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU (UK source for Craigster) on my AMD64 3000+ Winchester which allows the fan to turn off when the temperature is low.. The temp drops because I use the powersaving features of the processor, the Zalman is a good cooler, and I feel like I have decent airflow through the case (Antec Sonata, not the II). So, yea, instead of removing the fan, go with a good heatsink with a quiet fan instead... When you stress the system playing games, you'll want that fan -- even when mine is on, it's still pretty quiet. Don't rush right out and buy the Zalman, or any other large heatsink, as it may have clearance problems around the socket area. If you can get a picture of the inside of your case like mine, maybe we can help you figure out if a bigger heatsink would fit.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

with the proc temp that low that is fine if the fan is shut off because at those times I take it you are doing nothing on your computer and the passive cooling of the copper and aluminum should be fine. The temps you want to be careful with are 50 to 60 degrees celsuis.
      -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I had a processor fan go out once on a AMD processor. I had my tech (nephew) remove the old one and replaced with some wazoo one that made pretty colors when it spun.... No problems at all......
        "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Comment

Removing the fan may or may not cause heat issues. If you have one of those side-panel fans that blows directly over the CPU, then you can probably live without it. Basically, if you have a sufficient enough HS, a fan is not a necessity. You need to be more careful with AMD processors, particularily older model's (XP line and earlier) because there is a greater chance they can die if they overheat. Intel CPU's will heat throttle if there is an issue, essentially they just underclock the CPU. If you want to be absolutely safe, for around $30-40 (though the nice ones are closer to $70) you can buy HS's that are designed to run without a fan.

What I would do is open the side of the case up, unplug the fan from the motherboard (but leave it attached) Boot up and check the temps in bios. If they're at noirmal levels (anything below 50C) then boot into windows and start up a temp monitoring program, then run a game and check the temps of the CPU under draw. If they're still relatively low, you can live without the fan, so feel free to leave it unplugged (or remove it if you wish) If the temps start to climb dangerously (60C and above.) then just kill the power to the PC and plug the fan back in. As I recall, the Death temp of a CPU is around 80C. Most motherboards heat-saving bios features shut the PC down at around 70C.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

If your fan is too loud, buy a newer, better one. A larger more powerful fan will be quieter.

Comment

You want that fan on there. Basically it's there to help cooling, as people have already stated danger zones for a proc are in the 50-60c, or at least let's call that the final zone of comfort. Anything above that as a rule of thumb could cause some problems for you.
              I suggest as Tycho stated you look for a new fan, maybe even a new cooler.

You should be able to pickup something to meet your needs for under $30. If I recall correctly the two aspects regarding fans are CFM and DBA. DBA is the decibel rating and CFM is more or less like an efficiency rating telling you Cubic feet per minute. For your needs you want a slower moving fan that doesn't produce much noise.

You can get some more in depth details over at Anandtech or Hardforums just look in the cooling/OC'ing sections, AMD motherboards may even have a forum about this.

Are you running the stock cooler on this sempron? I'm suprised that an AMD stock cooler would be so loud.

Comment

yeah, you can probably just get a replacement fan... the newer fans have better ballbearings and will run much quieter than old OEM fans: http://www.coolerguys.com/quitefans.html

Alternatively, you can just grab a new heat-sink.. many come with a quiet fan included:
                http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...endations.html

Comment

Ok guys, I'm not a great genius, all i know is that i have a massive fan sitting at the back of the sonata II case that was originally stocked with it, i can set the speeds for it with a switch thingy at the back, the fan covers the whole motherboard, BIG BIG fan, But the fan that came with my sempron 3300+ ( the 1 that sits on top of the processor , you probably know what i ment i hope ), and its too dam noisy, i cant sleep because it's so loud, i may try running a temp prog and seeing how it differs without the fan and with the fan, also will try with diffrent speeeds on the MASSIve fan, as i like to reffer to it as that ( =p ) I will post results in the morning, its 2am and i been on the boozer so im gonna hit the couch lol, So speak ya'll in morning and thanks for help!
                  Abehep

Comment

Also i'll try taking a pic with my mob in the morning and uploading it to show ya'll the inside
                    Abehep

Comment

i have that same case - it's a 120mm exhaust fan at the back.. but there really isn't any directed flow over the CPU heatsink... so I definitely wouldn't recommend unplugging the fan... I'd measure the fan and just buy a new one for a few bucks... (it's prolly 80mm)

edit: oh.. the other thing is to make sure the HS isn't dusty... fan wont do much good (and thus has to work overtime) if your heatsink's wearing a sweater ;)

Comment

Yeah dude I wouldn't run the CPU without a fan. It's going to shut itself off to keep from melting.

Comment

if you got the marbles to try this..... MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you set the bios shutoff temp to 70c.

this is under the safe limit for a Socket754 Semp, and will give you room to get in to some games to see if they play. you dont want to get into playing a game and have the temp up @ 80 before you can turn the computer off. get the insurance of the computer monitoring itself.....
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                            if you got the marbles to try this..... MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you set the bios shutoff temp to 70c.

this is under the safe limit for a Socket754 Semp, and will give you room to get in to some games to see if they play. you dont want to get into playing a game and have the temp up @ 80 before you can turn the computer off. get the insurance of the computer monitoring itself.....
                            I've come across more than one board in my time that did not display accurate temps, I wouldn't recommend relying on this unless absolutely certain there are no issues with the board providing inaccurate temps. OP if you do this do your hw on reading up on your board and make sure it's the latest bios and there are no issues with temp readings.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X