Help Running Oblivion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Running Oblivion?

I am having way too much trouble running Oblivion so I thought maybe some one around here might be able to help me out.

Here's my PC:
    2x1gb Corsair XMS memory
    2x74gb 10,000rpm Raptor SATA RAID0
    AMD 3400+ 2.2ghz
    XFX GeForce6600 256mb
    v84.25 drivers

Did I miss anything? Now I never expected to be able to run OB at all the highest settings, but I get almost nothing out of this game. I used this tweak guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html. With almost every possible setting either lowered or turned off I can manage only 8fps and the game looks horrible! At this point I'd be happy with 25-30fps, but less than 10fps is unplayable.

Unless some one can give me the miracle cure I think I'll uninstall and put OB away until I can upgrade my PC. I just can't believe my PC is so bad that I have to do that.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Help Running Oblivion?

What resolution are you running at? Are you forcing AA or AF through your video card's controls?

Comment

I was trying to get it running at 1280x1024. I will try dropping it to 1024x768 tonight. When the game does it's initial video test it suggests running at 640x480! Tha's too low. I am not doing any AA or AF.

Comment

1280x1024 is way too high for a 6600. Just drop your resolution until it runs.

Comment

Couple things you need to check. Make sure Vsync is unchecked in the options on the launcher. Set your max frames to render ahead to 0 (only available with coolbits).

Also change this in the ini file.
          blocalmapshader=0

That should be it and turn your res down as everyone else suggested. The game hasn't been optimized nearly enough for PC resolutions yet.

- -

Comment

I did some general clean up (not much out of order), found some usefeul tweaks for the ini file, and set the resolution to 800x600. It's much better now, I'm getting 15-20fps outside now. I'd be happy if I could get another 5fps or so, but at least it's playable now.

What is coolbits? I found a website to DL coolbits 2, but there wasn't much of an explanation of what it was. Thanks.

Comment

Here's a tip:

If you're running on an LCD monitor, run it at 1280x800 or 1280x768... it's a quick nice way to lower the pixel count, while using the native resolution of your monitor (it looks like **** running 1024x768 fullscreen on an LCD pannel that's 1280x1024.)

The trick is to disable "scale image to pannel size" in your display settings... This will make the game run wide screen basically... (it actually makes it feel more cinematic too)...

(works really well w/ oblivion - it really handles the different aspect ratio's well - unlike BF2 which stretches all the words/graphics :/ )

Comment

1280x800 is way more than my sytem could handle :D

That's a pretty good tip, though. I would never have thought of that. That means you have black bars above and below the game, or what?

Comment

yep, exactly... like watching a widescreen movie on a 4x3 TV... (for wide screen monitors, I suppose you could do the opposite - run 4:3 resolution and play w/ bars on the sides)

what do you run now? if you can run 1024x768 at a decent rate, it's not much too more to run a wide-screen format... the increased visual quality from playing at the native resolution of the LCD is worth a few FPS in my opinion...

1024x768 = 786,432 pixels to render.

1280x640 = 819,200 px = 4% more pixels to render(but probably too short)
                  1280x768 = 983,040 px = 25% more pixels to render
                  1280x800 = 1,024,000 px = 30% more pixels to render
                  1280x1024 = 1,310,720 px = 66% more pixels to render

Comment

I have a Radeon 9600. I run at 640x480 with lowest settings and still get about 20 FPS in bad areas :D

I wish, though, that I could run widescreen. Anything to get closer to my native resolution; my UI looks like crap.

Comment

Hey whiskey, where in display settings do you find the scale image to panel size button or checkbox? Is it in the control panel display settings or one of the game options? ( I'm at work so I can't check the game options till I get home, but I don't see the option in the control panel display settings anywhere) I'd be interested to see how it looks :)
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

uh - depends on the brand of card that you have, but it should be under the "Display" or "Monitor" tab under Display Properties->Settings->Advanced ... it's w/ the stuff where you extend your desktop across multiple monitors...

I'm on my work PC now, and here the checkbox is called "Full Screen (no border)"...

Comment

What kind of motherboard are you using? Do you have the current chipset drivers installed?

Comment

Oh ok. I don't think the card I have here at work supports dual monitors. Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home!
                            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

yeah, I'm on a laptop, so it's got the VGA out... i run w/ both the laptop screen and an exteran LCD here...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X