Help me out on building my rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out on building my rig

Here's my saved wish list: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...fordable+Gamer

I have 2 processors saved. I think the one that's $30 more is much better, am I right? And is it compatible w/ the mobo? The cheaper one is what someone else recommended for OC'ing.

Any recommendations on cards other than that one? I want it to be able to use the HD capability of my monitor/ tv.

I don't know where it says what all is compatible w/ that mother board. Soo, is a SATA HDD compatible, and also is that RAM? And nething else for that matter.

Any different cheap sound card? I don't really wanna pay $100 when the integrated one would probly work fine newayz.

And, I still need a case. I don't want to spend but maybe $100, but I want it to be quiet.

Also, I need a PSU and fans. I think that covers everything, right??

Thanks

Re: Help me out on building my rig

The Turion is a socket 754 processor, it won't fit in the motherboard you have on the list. Also, you have an SATA II type hard drive and the MB supports SATA I. It'll run at SATA I speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
      The Turion is a socket 754 processor, it won't fit in the motherboard you have on the list. Also, you have an SATA II type hard drive and the MB supports SATA I. It'll run at SATA I speeds.
      ok, now I see where it says about the socket ### PCU. but, where does it say about which kind of hard drive? and is SATA II a good kind of HDD?

RAID is the really good, but really expensive kind, right?

So, do u recommend changing the motherboard, or getting a different PCU?

Soo many choices, this is tough!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
        RAID is the really good, but really expensive kind, right?
        No, for gamers, RAID is a technology that allows you to "merge" two hard drives together so that it looks like one bigger and faster hard drive.

RAID was actually designed to allow you to set up multiple hard drives for redundancy:

Here are some cool animations that describe it.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Look at the more expensive CPU I have on there ($219). I think that's a good fit. Someone said that they had it OC'ed to 2.75!!

Now, how slow are SATA I HDD's vs. SATA II'S?

Also, I need case recommendations.

Comment

Opteron 144 can overclock to 3700+ speeds, but you could start with the Opteron 148 and be at those speeds and able to go even higher. The 3700+ is a nice chip. Both will work with your motherboard as will the memory and video card. If you're gunna overclock the 3700+, you'll probably want better memory capable of running higher speeds so you won't have to run a memory divider.

SATA II is the latest and greatest.. it's backwards compatible with SATA I, so you're fine there. You won't max out the transfer rate of SATA I anyways.

Antec Sonata II is a good case with good power supply and good cooling. It's $100, but everything is included.

IMHO, drop that sound card. Doubtful that it will be much better than the onboard stuff. This is the cheapest Sound Blaster I'd go with.. the Audigy SE and Live! 24 bit aren't much better than the on board either.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

If you want SATA II, you'll need to get a different motherboard, one that supports it. As for speed differences, I don't think there's a huge difference in real world performance. But others are probably more knowledable than that. You might go search 'SATA II' on tomshardware.com or anandtech.com, I'm sure they have some articles comparing SATA II and SATA. As for which CPU you should get, it depends on how much you want to spend. Personally, it looks more like a budget PC, I'd just go with the opteron.

A case with included PSU you might want to consider is the Antec Sonata II. 430W (or maybe it's 420W) PSU included for $100.

Comment

Why do all the cases have doors like that, that u have to keep closed? Doesn't that get kind of annoying?

Comment

Why do all the cases have doors like that, that u have to keep closed? Doesn't that get kind of annoying?
                  It'll keep your loading drives MUCH cleaner.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Regarding RAID: I had my two Seagate 160GB discs configured as RAID0. Now (after some Opteron 170 overclocking experiments) I lost the RAID and ghosted back onto a single drive. I used to load a new BF2 map and see 1:35 until start of game. Now I come in at 1:20. Just for a comparison.

For soundcards I found that using the AUdigy 2 made a big difference over onboard sound. THe quality is better. I heard that onboard sound also taxes the CPU some but can't remember any bad effects.

Comment

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...fordable+Gamer

Bleeeh, I just realized that that mobo doesn't support firewire, which I need for digital video production (I know, Mac is the best for that, but I think this computer will do just fine for it). So, whats a good one that is compatible w/ all of the items I already have there besides the memory?

What about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128315

Also, what are the 6 ports that look like audio ports?? That's what I'm guessing they are, but why 6?

Comment

What about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128315

Also, what are the 6 ports that look like audio ports?? That's what I'm guessing they are, but why 6?
                        Reviews aren't too stellar on that one. I'd steer clear due to all the MCE's that people are reporting. A couple reports would just indicate other bad hardware, but I see too many mentions of the errors for em no to be an indication of a bad board.

But, Line In, Mic In, Front Out, Rear Out, center out, side out.
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

I see nothing about a floppy drive... And upgrading teh BIOS sometimes requires a floppy... Back-ups are nice for that too, just in case... And i found some programs require floppy's... I dont know... Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents.
                          Oyee

Comment

marstein, you see 1:20 now! I see like 40 seconds!

As for your computer, you will want to buy the parts that have the most potential for growth. Being able to overclock will be a great option. I'm not really awake now so I don't really know.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X