Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with memory upgrade please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with memory upgrade please.

I'm sorry in advance if this is a stupid question but I don't really know that much about the insides of a system. Right now I have 512MB-(2x256) DDR2 PC2-4200 dual chan memory at 400mhz installed in my computer that came with my system, I have just purchased a 1GB-(2x512) dual kit at 533mhz. Should I just add the new 1GB kit @533Mhz to the already installed [email protected] or should I remove the [email protected]? I am unsure if the new 1G kit will function at the 533Mhz or if it will underclock down to match the 400Mhz. I'd like to take advantage of the extra speed. If anyone can give me some insight on what would be the best way to go I'd sure appreatiate it.

TAZ

Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please.

If I'm not mistaken, I think your supposed to remove the old RAM before putting in the new ones. I think if you're using different speeds, a) the mobo will run all the RAM at the lowest speeds and b) could make your system unstable. I'm not positive about this and someone else can/will verify if this is true. Did you check your mobo documentation? The docs is probably the best way for you to figure this out. If you don't have the docs anymore, I guess you could try sticking the new RAM in and if it doesn't boot or acts unstable, take the old RAM out and leave the new ones. GL.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

What was the purpose of the new RAM? Did you want more RAM or did you want faster RAM? If the former, mix with with the older RAM and you'll probably be fine. If the latter, take out the old RAM and install the new RAM. The old and new RAM chips will likely not run at the faster speeds. You could try overclocking the old RAM but I doubt your system will be stable. It's also possible the old and new RAM can run in dual channel together without any problems (no harm in trying).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ
        Right now I have 512MB-(2x256) DDR2 PC2-4200 dual chan memory at 400mhz installed in my computer that came with my system,
        TAZ
        PC2-4200 is 533mhz...where is this 400 number coming from?
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis
          PC2-4200 is 533mhz...where is this 400 number coming from?
          From the actually memory stick. It has a sticker on it with a bunch of numbered codes and stuff but the basics that I can filter out of it all are.."DDR2 PC2-4200 400MHz". Could this be a factory misprint? I don't have a cam or camera or else I would take a pic.

So lets say that it is a misprint and the memory is actually 533MHz, should I still remove the smaller memory sticks or would they be more compatible now because of the same speed?

Comment

I'm assuming you wanted more memory, as others stated you can try to get them to run at equal speeds but you are going to have to either OC or UC. You can use memtest for stability testing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X