Free system software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free system software

Alot of great software out there is free. If you are gonna be building a PC anytime soon, look for a free alternative to what you need before going right out and buying it. Many times I've wanted a piece of software for my PC, first I would do a quick Google and find a free version or something like what I need.

First thing I always put on a new PC is the Anti virus. There are plenty of free versions out there that i have read about or used. I usta have Norton, system hog, then Macafee, dint work out so well. So after both those software packages fail me I turned to AVG. Its a great low resource anti virus alternative. You can just about everything if not all, as the retail brands. I have had it start to scan my PC when playing BF2 and dint realize it until i had exited out of the game.

Okay after the AV, I would install a firewall. Personally I don't use one, but a good one is Zone Alarm. It works great, again low resources. A few members have had trouble with it not running games well, and/or causing other problems. Its not fun setting up but when you get it, its good to go.

Microsoft Office costs a lot more then a poor college student wants to pay for Word. So why not use Open Office. Its got all the stuff that Word does but without the over head price and it even has that little animated character that pops up. Okay maybe it doesn't have all the features but it does what I need it to do. It has the same packages as Office, such as Impress(power point), Math(Excel). You can open Word docs with it, and even save your Open office docs as a Word doc.

For all your instant messenger needs GAIM or Trillian will do. They basically both do the same thing. Both are multi-protcol clients so you don't have to download 15 different messenger systems to get the job done. For both you can download Plug-ins for weather or even GAIM has an xFire plug in. I personally use GAIM, but i have used Trillian.

Spyware and MalWare are the devil. I use 2 products for this part of the operation. The Microsoft Antispyware beta, and Adaware SE. Both do the same thing, but I have had times where one will get something when the other will not. The Microsoft product is actually very well made, again low resource. They both auto update, and will run when scheduled.

For those Web Browser needs i prefer Firefox. Its got an amazing backbone of free stuff supported by its community. FireFox is very secure and has a lot of features that IE is only now implementing. I have used Opera, its not bad at all. Really a nice browser, just lacks the community that FF has.

For FTP file searching and browsing i use Filezilla. I don't FTP a lot but it gets the job done.

A couple of free system monitors that I use are Rubber Ducky and Motherboard Monitor 5. Now Rubber Ducky is a great little system monitor. This thing is only about 1" by 1" on your desktop. But with simple color changes or even more fish in the aquarium setting shows you how your system is running, you have to download it to see what I'm talking about. The MM5 is a great system temp monitor. Its got a database of Motherboards so you can find yours and it will know what to look for and monitor. Does system temp and CPU temp.

If you are into torrents then bitComet is a nice little program. Ive used a few programs but this one is great, really simple to use.

If you have any programs what you use post them here. I hope those which i have listed help. And yes bommando i did a spell check before posting.
    Last edited by Trooper; 04-16-2006, 01:31 AM. Reason: did spell check but not grammer
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Free system software

Great thread!! Here's some of my suggestions:

Google Earth- fun and useful. It basically does what Google Maps does, but in a better interphase and only with satellite pictures. There is also a great community that will mark different waypoints and load them onto the forums for you to download.

Rainlendar- a calendar

Yahoo Widget Engine- have a weather widget, a to do list, a wifi signal monitor, a battery monitor, and other things, people even make their own widgets for you to download

ObjectDock- have a dock like Mac users have on your PC. I don't ever use it, but I think it's pretty cool.

Audacity- very good audio editor, can export to .mp3 or .wav

Orb- access all your media on your home PC connected to the Internet on another PC, PDA, or smartphone (on a high speed data network like EVDO) connected to the Internet on broadband. You can also have a TV tuner connected to your home PC, and access it, change channels, and schedule recordings from the remote location. Of course, you will be able to watch your recorded shows from the remote location, as well.
    The TV tuner part is going to come in extra handy for me when I go to Spain for the month of July :) :)
    Last edited by SuperDudeBT; 04-16-2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

This is an awesome idea for a thread! Can someone please +rep Trooper for me? (I've not repped enough folks since the last time I repped him to be able to rep him again)

My addition to this sordid collection is Freemind. Freemind is mind-mapping software (you remember drawing the bubble in the centre of the page, and then connecting other bubbles with related ideas to it in High School? That's mind mapping). There are competing pay products out there; namely MindManager and SMART Ideas. Both have their merits (and are more polished than Freemind), but Freemind gives you the core functionality which is important in a mind-mapping product.

I use mind-mapping a lot - from brainstorming to note taking to presentation creation - there seems to be about a million uses for it. I highly recommend this software to anyone who cares to try it.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
        This is an awesome idea for a thread! Can someone please +rep Trooper for me? (I've not repped enough folks since the last time I repped him to be able to rep him again)

My addition to this sordid collection is Freemind. Freemind is mind-mapping software (you remember drawing the bubble in the centre of the page, and then connecting other bubbles with related ideas to it in High School? That's mind mapping). There are competing pay products out there; namely MindManager and SMART Ideas. Both have their merits (and are more polished than Freemind), but Freemind gives you the core functionality which is important in a mind-mapping product.

I use mind-mapping a lot - from brainstorming to note taking to presentation creation - there seems to be about a million uses for it. I highly recommend this software to anyone who cares to try it.
        Freemind is AWESOME.

Another good tool is Keynote. I use that every day.

Comment

VLC media player (portable apps just came out with a version...) for watching DVD's

HTMLKit - for editing websites

Audacity - for editing audio

Audiograbber - for ripping and converting audio

zero footprint crypt - for encrypting files and folders

7zip - compression utility
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

WinRAR for compressing files.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
              VLC media player (portable apps just came out with a version...) for watching DVD's

HTMLKit - for editing websites

Audacity - for editing audio

Audiograbber - for ripping and converting audio

zero footprint crypt - for encrypting files and folders

7zip - compression utility
              OMG!! I soo meant to put down Audacity, best free program of any that I use. +rep.

Comment

You started out with free alternatives to things which you pay for and ended up with many examples of free alternatives to free software. :D

Good tips though.

I'll add my fav windows programmer's editor Notepad++, and a second multi-platform programmer's editor, VIM. These are both great for programmers, but they also make excellent notepad replacements for general text editing needs.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

RMClock is a great alternative to AMD's Cool'n'Quiet. It works with most Intel and AMD cpu's. I love this program, most of the time my system is just sitting idle while I read or type. This program keeps my system running cool and thus lets my fans slow down and make less noise. When I need maximum performance, it automatically kicks up the voltage and multipliers so I get full performance from my CPU.

From the site:
                  RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock) is a small GUI application designed for real-time CPU frequency, throttling and load level monitoring and on-the-fly adjustment of the CPU performance level on supported CPU models via processor's power management model-specific registers (MSRs). In automatic management mode it continuously monitors the CPU usage level and dynamically adjusts the CPU frequency, throttle and/or voltage level as needed, realizing the "Performance on Demand" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                    You started out with free alternatives to things which you pay for and ended up with many examples of free alternatives to free software. :D

Good tips though.

I'll add my fav windows programmer's editor Notepad++, and a second multi-platform programmer's editor, VIM. These are both great for programmers, but they also make excellent notepad replacements for general text editing needs.
                    Does Notepad++'s find in file work right? I can't seem to get any results when I use it.

I like Programmer's Notepad 2.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
                      Does Notepad++'s find in file work right? I can't seem to get any results when I use it.

I like Programmer's Notepad 2.
                      Works well for me. Select what you want to search for, click 'find in files', select filename filter and directory, and hit OK.

I also use Clipboard Magic, but I would love to hear of other options for clipboard replacements.
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Don't forget 100 Downloads, the website with 100 programs that everyone ought to get as soon as they install a fresh copy of Windows. Except you probably don't need all 100.

Comment

Anyone using Picasa for photo management? I keep meaning to try it out, but haven't done it yet...
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ive used it alot this last semester. You can open alot of formats includeing RAW, and company specific formats. Really easy to use, and again its a google product
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

Yea, I have mom using Picasa for her digital photos.. that's how easy it is to use :D

BitComet is still banned from some trackers and doesn't necessarily play nice with trackers it isn't banned from. I like µTorrent instead.
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed