Found new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found new hardware

Hey guys. I just got done putting together my friends rig and I'm getting a found new hardware msg that won't go away. It says it's for a "mass storage controller". wth is this? I've tried letting the wizard go through its process but it always ends unfinished. This is what I did to his rig:

I put a used HDD into a build with a different mobo/cpu than it had before and installed a new gfx card. I didn't reformat the HDD because he doesn't have the original OS disk his old pc came with. He said he can't find any of the disks, so I didn't want to lose the original XP home OS. The found new hardware wizard isn't that big of a deal, just annoying. Any ideas would be helpful as to how to get rid of it. Thanks
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: Found new hardware

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
    I put a used HDD into a build with a different mobo/cpu than it had before and installed a new gfx card. I didn't reformat the HDD because he doesn't have the original OS disk his old pc came with.
    I'm surprised you even got the thing to boot using a hard drive that already had Windows loaded onto it. Changing out a processor is one thing, but if you have a completely new Mobo Windows usually can't even load. You're going to probably have tons o' issues unless you reformat and start from scratch, if you can figure a way to do that...

Comment

I've been told by some that you don't necessarily have to reformat the drive, but people do it just "to be safe" and resolve any future issues it may cause, but at this point I don't have a choice since he can't afford another windows xp OS. The hours I've spent using it tonight have had no issues, yet. The mobo and cpu aren't completely new either. They've been exposed to windows because both used to be mine. Oh well, he's just gonna have to suck it up till he can buy a new OS, while he's at it he needs more RAM too, 512 just doesn't cut it anymore lol. Thanks coridon
      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Sounds like it needs chipset drivers for the motherboard.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
          ...but at this point I don't have a choice since he can't afford another windows xp OS.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ive-eulas.html
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X