FTP causes modem reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP causes modem reboot

OK kids. This one has stumped Comcast, and it's been vexing me for ages.

When I try to connect to an FTP site, about 60% of the time (near 100% for the first try at it) my modem/router will hang and reboot.

Twiddling with settings in FTP doesn't seem to help much, but I'm willing to try any and everything again for the purposes of this exercise.

Below is a sample of a connect log, trying to hook to my TG webspace. This is typical: the PASV command will run, and then the connection will hang on the LIST command.

This phenomenon does not happen at any other time, with any other protocol, with any other type of connection. Version info on the equipment:
    Software version: SBG1000-0.1.3.3-SCM07-NOSH
    Hardware version: 1
    Upgrading the firmware is only an option if I can find it. The internet does not give up that secret to any query string I have thus far composed.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Code:
    Status:	Connected with ftp.tacticalsites.com. Waiting for welcome message...
    Response:	220 osiris.tacticalgamer.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
    Command:	USER pokerface
    Response:	331 User pokerface okay, need password.
    Command:	PASS *******
    Response:	230-You are user #1 of 50 simultaneous users allowed.
    Response:	230-
    Response:	230 Restricted user logged in.
    Command:	FEAT
    Response:	211-Extensions supported:
    Response:	 CLNT
    Response:	 LANG EN*
    Response:	 MDTM
    Response:	 MLST Type*;Size*;Modify*;Perm;Unique;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner;UNIX.uid;UNIX.group;UNIX.gid;
    Response:	 PASV
    Response:	 REST STREAM
    Response:	 SIZE
    Response:	 UTF8
    Response:	 TVFS
    Response:	 Compliance Level: 20040701 (IETF mlst-16)
    Response:	211 End.
    Command:	CLNT FileZilla
    Response:	200 Noted.
    Command:	OPTS UTF8 ON
    Response:	501 Option not recognized.
    Command:	SYST
    Response:	215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command:	PWD
    Response:	257 "/" is cwd.
    Command:	TYPE A
    Response:	200 Type okay.
    Command:	PASV
    Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (67,19,106,90,164,167)
    Command:	LIST
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: FTP causes modem reboot

I had this problems with a LinkSys router when I would do a traceroute. The router worked fine, but if I did a traceroute it would hang and reboot. I ended up bringing it back and exchanging it and then everything was fine.

What is the make/model of the equipment?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
      I had this problems with a LinkSys router when I would do a traceroute. The router worked fine, but if I did a traceroute it would hang and reboot. I ended up bringing it back and exchanging it and then everything was fine.

What is the make/model of the equipment?
      Originally posted by Pokerface
      OK kids. This one has stumped Comcast, and it's been vexing me for ages.

When I try to connect to an FTP site, about 60% of the time (near 100% for the first try at it) my modem/router will hang and reboot.
      :D
      [volun2]
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Ahh! It was a link!

Damn me for not leaving my links underlined and damn whoever came up with this CSS scheme for the site as the link text doesn't quite stand out very well in the forums sometimes. :)

That's a funny looking device! I'm actually stumped, short of just replacing it I don't have any ideas.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

There's two issues with that.

1) This thing isn't made anymore, and is well out of its return period.
          2) This problem hasn't been a constant thing since I purchased it. It started a while ago, yeah, but I recall having perfectly clean FTP connections with this piece of equipment.

So that'd lead me to believe that SOMETHING SOMEWHERE happened to cause this. It also means that it's correctable, though it might not be able to be done as an end user.
          [volun2]

Comment

I was going to inquire about having the latest firmware installed, but looking at the site there is no firmware for your device.

The problem I think most likely lies in the gateway of the router, maybe with its NAT translation. I think it is that because those are the areas that the FTP has to go through those parts and if the firmware coding is screwed up it could cause a problem that freezes the machine and forces it to reboot. Since I am more of a hardware man and not a coder I won't comment on the firmware coding and the problems that it could be causing, but the hardware areas are most likely the bridge between the modem and the gateway of the router and the NAT used to direct the packets to your computers.

I would suggest if you have the money and are truly mad at this is to get a new modem and wireless router, just remember to let Comcast know the MAC address of your new modem if you do get it.
            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X