application error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• application error

For the past few months I have been getting these svchost.exe errors. it keeps saying that

"the instruction at "0x00996bc" referrenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written"."

I've wiped my computer and reinstalled windows, but im still getting it. Lately its been popping up every minute it seems, except when im running games, for some reason it doesnt pop up then. It seems to me like its probably hardware issue, ive always had up to date virusscan and windows updates, and a firewall running most of the time, so i doubt its a virus, plus the fact that i wiped my computer and its still there
    Last edited by thegreatnardini; 04-24-2006, 11:07 PM.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: application error

hmm. maybe it is a virus, i have three processes of it running, and i googled it and read that only one legitimate process should in fact be running. I searched and found 20+ svhost.exe's and deleted all but hte legitimate one. still happening though, and i wonder why my antivirus wont pick it up...

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

No it wouldn't be a virus. I forget exactly what svchost.exe does but it runs 3 separate processes one for system, Network service, and Local service. What exact version of Windows are you running and is it being installed from a slipstreamed disk that you have done some customization to?
      -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

svchost.exe is a DLL launcher. It runs a service implemented in a DLL. That error message indicates a "null pointer dereference", a bad programming error. You need to find out which service is doing that. Type "services.msc" to see the list of all services. Not sure how to tell which is the one that's crashing, though. But that might give you enough info to google with.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

im running windows xp pro sp2, nope its not slipstreamed, right from the cd itself, i typed in services.msc, and there were about seven things disabled, most had to do with remote access, one was security though, maybe i accidentally turned them off. Why do you think it would still be giving me the error after a clean install of windows, i didnt mess with any settings yet cause i just installed it a few days ago?

Comment

first svchost.exe is a manditory process and cannot be stopped. second, if it is giving errors immediately after reinstall, then I see 3 possible reasons right away.

1) blaster-like virus (no one else saying this is an issue, so I doubt it.)

2) bad stick of ram (first place I would look, pull out on stick then the other)

3) possible faulty CD or CDROM drive.....
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Services often exist to service hardware. They're like drivers, but run in userspace. (A driver is more like a subroutine that gets the privilege to talk to hardware.) It could be that you have a hardware issue that the service code failed to take into account, and it's running into the weeds. (That's a technical term. ;))

You might be able to see which one's crashing by noting which are "Started" before the crash message and then seeing which one changed to "Stopped" afterwards.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X