Weird problems with my new system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problems with my new system

Okay, I am loving my computer. It starts up in not much longer than 10 or 15 seconds, I can play games on uber high graphical settings, I can run Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot, and AVG system checks simulatniously. Unfortunately for some older games, my system doesn't seem to like them. (For those of you who don't know, I recently purchased a new computer with a GeForce 7800 and a dual core AMD FX 60)

The problem I have with the original Thiefs and System Shock 2 is that the game hangs up shortly into it. But I might yet be able to fix that. The real problem, to which Google presents no solution, is with Deus Ex.

When I started Deus Ex up for the first time after getting my new computer, I noticed that it was having hiccups. Every couple seconds it would instantly be transported a bit into the future. So characters talking will suddenly stop midline, people walking will teleport a small distance ahead on a regular basis, and if it hiccuped while, say, slowly looking up, the view will suddenly be straight up, as if I had been looking up for several seconds.

Now, I talked to some friends, and they suggested limiting Deus Ex to one core. Well, before I decided to try that, I went back into it and turned all the graphics up. Then I started the game, and noticed that the hiccups were gone. Then I noticed that things were moving at an extremely slow pace, like slower than 1/10th of normal game speed. I tried using a cheat to increase the game speed, but the cap is x10, and at the point the game was still less than half as fast, and to add insult the injury, the hiccuping was back in diminished form.

So I decided to limit Deus Ex to one core. I start it, everything seems nice, then I start a new game, and the over 2 minutes intro passes by in about 10 seconds. Things are insanely fast.

I finally decide to try software rendering, but when I pull up the menu, it starts lagging. Google offers no help under the criteria "Dual Core" and "Deus Ex". Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be going on?

Re: Weird problems with my new system

Also, while there's a thread, I also would like to know the best way to position my fans. I currently have one each on both vertical ends that intake, two on one side that intake, and one on top facing outward. My current system runs a little hot, and I was wondering if there was an optimal way to set it up, for instance with the intake on the front and side to maximize air circulation and minimize dust, with the rear and top as exhaust to keep dust out and rid hot air faster. Would that be a good setup?

Comment

Okay, for Deus Ex, your first step is to try running it in compatability mode, something like Windows 2000 or lower, and see if that clears it up.

As for your fans, you want exhaust on the rear and intake on the front. Two on the side seems overkill but those you'd want as intake also. The one on top (boy your rig must sound like an F-14) would be pointing down into your case, right? I'd make that one an exhaust so you have a movement of air from the front and the side to the back and to the top. This should keep your stuff cool unless your hard drives are tucked away out of reach of any of the airflow.

So yes, the setup you were suggesting is what I would go with.

Comment

Disable the cheat that increases game speed 10x.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Yeah, I figured that out a while ago. I always remembered the cheats for that game deactivating upon anything big, like level change, loading a game, or quitting and restarting. The only explanation that I have is that when you activate a cheat, it stores it on a save file, and that new games are actually just loading one starting save point, which became tainted.

Anyway, the fan on top is exhaust, all the others are intake. So I guess I'll just reverse the rear. Should I for the side fans have one as intake and one outake, or will that just make the airflow chaotic?

Comment

You definitely want the back one as exhaust. If you really wanted, you could set one side fan as in and one as out, but it depends where they are in relation to each other. If one is closer to the front of the case, then it would be the "in" fan. If one is above the other, then it would be the "out" fan, unless it is lined up horizontally with the front and back fans, in which case it should be an "in" fan and the lower one could be an "out" fan, although how much good that does you depends on where the fans are in relation to your expansion cards.

Basically you just want air coming in the front and out the back, and you want as much movement over as many components as possible. The way I would do this is in on the front and side and out the top and back, but you have some leeway with the side fans.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X