X1900XT vs. 7900GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1900XT vs. 7900GT

Newegg messed up my order for the X1900XT and now I'm rethinking the decision. I'm considering the 7900GT. Since I am a very analytical person, always looking for the best min-max solution to problems, I have run some quick little numbers on these two cards.

I only include benchmarks at 1280x1024 because that's my LCD's resolution. When this resolutions score is not available, I have averaged both of the adjacent resolutions (1280x960 & 1600x1200). The percent is the differential between the two scores (ATI's X1900XT had the higher score in each test).

BF2 1280x960: 35%
    BF2 1600x1200: 40%
    BF2 Average: 38%
    FEAR 1280x1024: 22%
    Q4 1280x1024: 5%
    B&W 1280x1024: 41%

After removing the outlier, we get these results:

Performance differential between X1900XT & 7900GT: 33.7%
    Price differential between X1900XT OEM & 7900GT: 33%
    Price differential between X1900XT Retail & 7900GT: 36%

Pretty remarkable, isn't it?

Does anyone here have experience with either of these two cards? The 7900GT is single slot, which is nice, but that doesn't really matter that much to me. I already have an nVidia card, so I suppose it would be cleaner to upgrade to another nVidia - can anyone speak to this?
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: X1900XT vs. 7900GT

You would still have to uninstall your old drivers. When I went from a 9800 Pro to an X800XL I had to reinstall the drivers for the X800.

If there is anything nice about the X1900XT is that while it is a loud stock cooler it is a beast. I am at 730Mhz core/ 800Mhz mem on my X1800XT.

Edit: Just to add in the difference between the X1900XTX and the XT is that the XTX uses cherry picked cores. It's regular speeds are about 650Mhz and I think it might also have a 25Mhz bump on its mem over the XT.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Update:

AnandTech just added Oblivion benchmarks ten minutes ago.

Oblivion 1280x1024 HDR: 50% (!)
      Oblivion 1280x1024 Bloom: 46%

Additionally, AT added this comment: We continue to see this trend of NVIDIA GPUs posting lower minimum frame rates than ATI GPUs here which, unfortunately for NVIDIA, makes us strongly recommend choosing ATI instead.

A whopping 50% advantage in one of the Oblivion benchmarks.

@ GM: It seems strange that the X1900XTXs sell for $50 more than the X1900XTs with only a very nominal performance difference. As you say, they have cherry picked cores, but you'd think one of the companies would sell "Factory OC" models a-la XFX, BFG, and eVGA. eVGA sells some 7900GTs with really very high OCs at reasonable cost.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

^^^ATI doesn't allow its board partners to OC. Well they recently (about last month i think) decided to let there board partners make OCed version. God knows when we will actaully see them though.

Also ATI can do HDR/AA at the same time in Oblivion.

With all the OCing I did to the X1800 I wonder how I compare to the X19 series.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

I just bought my BFG 7900 GT OC (core:475, memory:680x2=1360), and clocked it to 550 core and 800x2-1600 memory. I'm getting PHENOMINAL play (max settings) on BF2 and CS:S. Compared to my old MSI 6800, this thing is a beast and I'm very pleased with it.
          USAR

Comment

How do these things perform at 2048x1500? That's how high my monitor goes, and what I normally run my desktop at. WoW seems to work fine at that res with my 6800GT.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

They perform very well, but if all you play is WoW there's no point in spending the money to upgrade your 6800.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                How do these things perform at 2048x1500?

Black & White 2

BF2

Comment

Definately need crossfire/sli for that res.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

The X1900XT/X seem to do well enough at those resolutions - and that's with AA on. But yeah, the increased frames from 7900GTX/SLI and 1900XT/X/Crossfire would be nice.

Comment

^^^^You only showed BF2 and B&W2.

Oblivion and GRAW (maybe) own Crossfire/SLi.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Why on earth would you play on resolutions above 1024x768? Does the game look that much more impressive? Anything above that resolution and most monitors start to really hurt in refresh rates (unless you have an expensive fancy shmancy one). I personally can't stand how everything shrinks so much at those resolutions.
                        USAR

Comment

^^^^Because I can. =)
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                            ^^^^You only showed BF2 and B&W2.

Oblivion and GRAW (maybe) own Crossfire/SLi.
                            AT doesn't have Oblivion benchies above 1280x1024 - and even at that resolution, SLI & Crossfire sturggle by FPS standards, so I imagine that when you get far above there, it really gets tough!

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                              Why on earth would you play on resolutions above 1024x768? Does the game look that much more impressive? Anything above that resolution and most monitors start to really hurt in refresh rates (unless you have an expensive fancy shmancy one). I personally can't stand how everything shrinks so much at those resolutions.
                              If you have an LCD, a game will look WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better at its native resolutioni than when its downsampled and interpolated to 1024x768. It's a huge, gigantic, humongous difference. Night and day basically, especially when it comes to aliasing and text/UI sharpness.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X