Cable or DSL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable or DSL?

I currently have Bellsouth DSL Ultra. My ping on CSS Sux and now I am considering Cable.

Ppl tell me that Cable is faster and when I compare the rates Cable does come out seemingly better than DSL. (5 megabytes per second by 386) compared to DSL.

Any opinions? My ping sux now because I moved 3 miles to a diff location and I dont think Cable has that "location" issue.

Any pros/cons to cable?

Thanks,
    Ben

All I ask for is communication

Re: Cable or DSL?

I had cable and loved it then had connection problems in gaming and couldn't get it fixed. Went to DSL, didn't have any problems but then had problems with the phone company and went back to cable and just love it. I guess they got all their software problems fixed in the mean time. I say go cable.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

go cable..

Comment

In my area, cable is faster than DSL. Although, it's only recently changed. My cable provider capped speeds at 3 Mbits (~300kbs/s not megabytes) for regular service. This is the same speed offered by the DSL provider. I'm not sure what the upstream speeds are for DSL here but cable is about 384 Kbits (~40kb/s). When my cable provider upgraded the speeds, it went to 5 Mbits (close to 600kb/s on a good server).

I've had service with both cable and DSL and don't really find much difference. There's a risk that cable speeds could be affected by others in the area (clogging the node) but my area seems to have very few heavy cable users. DSL has a dedicated line so you won't be affected by neighbours downloading heavily. However, DSL is affected by the distance to the central routing office or whatever it's called.

For the most part, either would be a good choice but it really comes down to how the ISP's handle the load. Your DSL provider must have a bad connection to the Internet backbone or something if you're getting bad pings or it could be line noise. Definitely check out the cable provider you're considering. I know a Canadian website that that rates Canadian ISP's by area. Perhaps someone knows a site for US ISP's.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It isn't a simple question of one vs the other. It totally depends on the provider and how the network is configured in your area. dslreports has a bunch of info about providers, including customer comments, so you may be able to find some advice there.

Watch out for the dreaded hidden limitations. Many providers are throttling bandwidth or capping transfers, and you don't want to get caught with less service than you thought you were getting.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I've got bellsouth in GA and my connection speed is 6Mb down 1.5Mb up (Roughly 700K downloading, though i have downloaded a few items at 900K)

It depends on the service in your area, check around with people that live around you and ask about service and everything.
            Oyee

Comment

With most consumer ISP's, I get equally screwed by either cable or DSL. I'd love to get Speakeasy because their TOS allows servers and their support people don't whine if you mention Linux.

Once you get above 1 Mb down, speed doesn't really matter for a gamer. It's mostly of interest for file downloads like patches and P2P.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                With most consumer ISP's, I get equally screwed by either cable or DSL. I'd love to get Speakeasy because their TOS allows servers and their support people don't whine if you mention Linux.

Once you get above 1 Mb down, speed doesn't really matter for a gamer. It's mostly of interest for file downloads like patches and P2P.
                Quite true, upspeed is important for a gamer since ISP's limit that. It's good to have a fast upspeed to run your own server or handle all the data that games could send to a game server. Most importantly, you want a clean line from your ISP. You don't want dropped packets because the ISP's hardware is crappy at routing them or they don't keep the wires running to your house in good order.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X