Vista: Good news for gamers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista: Good news for gamers?

An article in PC magazine had this today about what games will be like on Vista
    Originally posted by PC Magazine
    Though there will be a compatibility mode for older apps that need the GDI, new applications- namley games- written specifically for Vista will be able to take the same direct path the Xbox has enjoyed, and with it get a performance boost of around 30 to 40%. Now that's something to get excited about.
    I know that's microsoft talking but that would make me buy it.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Vista: Good news for gamers?

^^^^Any preformance boost helps.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Vista's good news for gamers since it's going to force everyone to buy new 3d cards :D

Comment

nah, it wont force you to get one. It will work with Direct x9 cards from what ive read. Games more then likely wont use Direct x9 until the summer of '07, thats my guess. Again thats just my specualtion after doing some reading and searching.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

^^^^^Not only that Intel has just annouced a new POS integrated card that supports DX10. There are times I want Intel to die and this is it.

Mainly since I hate going to a friend's house and trying to get them into PC gaming only to find an Intel mobo with integrated video and no AGP slot.
          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent
            An article in PC magazine had this today about what games will be like on Vista

I know that's microsoft talking but that would make me buy it.
            As a programmer I'm highly skeptical of that. With an 8088 it made sense to bypass the "OS" (really the poorly-written BIOS in those days) to get directly to the hardware.

The big win of Windows, starting with 3.0, was the idea that all programs would use drivers to access hardware using a standard set of API's. This allowed any hardware vendor to participate that supplied a driver providing that API. At least for office apps, where performance requirements weren't so high, that created an explosion in the number of apps and hardware available. Games still had extreme requirements and the API's were too primitive to meet them so most games continued to run under DOS, where there was no real OS abstraction getting in the way of the hardware. The closest we saw was a degree of hardware compatibility with VGA and Soundblaster as "standards".

Then MS developed DirectX (IBM had a similar multimedia API for OS/2 at the time; Amiga's API's were always optimized for its hardware making it a natural game platform), and we saw the same explosion in the game market. These API's abstracted 3D hardware and allowed more software and more hardware to work at its full potential even while restricted to compatibility with an API.

If Vista is claiming to remove the API compatibility restriction, this is going to once again force games to write to specific hardware and will artificially constrain the market.

OTOH, Vista might be forcing the API down to the register level, similar to the way USB and Firewire define OHCI standards for how their register sets work. But this runs the risk of making that hardware easier to integrate into rival operating systems, because the OS and drivers are no longer contributing secret IP to make the system work.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              As a programmer I'm highly skeptical of that. With an 8088 it made sense to bypass the "OS" (really the poorly-written BIOS in those days) to get directly to the hardware.

The big win of Windows, starting with 3.0, was the idea that all programs would use drivers to access hardware using a standard set of API's. This allowed any hardware vendor to participate that supplied a driver providing that API. At least for office apps, where performance requirements weren't so high, that created an explosion in the number of apps and hardware available. Games still had extreme requirements and the API's were too primitive to meet them so most games continued to run under DOS, where there was no real OS abstraction getting in the way of the hardware. The closest we saw was a degree of hardware compatibility with VGA and Soundblaster as "standards".

Then MS developed DirectX (IBM had a similar multimedia API for OS/2 at the time; Amiga's API's were always optimized for its hardware making it a natural game platform), and we saw the same explosion in the game market. These API's abstracted 3D hardware and allowed more software and more hardware to work at its full potential even while restricted to compatibility with an API.

If Vista is claiming to remove the API compatibility restriction, this is going to once again force games to write to specific hardware and will artificially constrain the market.

OTOH, Vista might be forcing the API down to the register level, similar to the way USB and Firewire define OHCI standards for how their register sets work. But this runs the risk of making that hardware easier to integrate into rival operating systems, because the OS and drivers are no longer contributing secret IP to make the system work.
              Can I get that in english please :)
              USAR

Comment

What he's saying is that when you tap directly into the computer instead of going through the operating system, you have to write your game to work with specific 3d cards, which means we might end up with companies making deals so that the game only runs on nVidia or something (not likely but it could happen).

Comment

Gotcha!
                  USAR

Comment

And the only way one might escape that is if MS defined the hardware interface for all hardware makers to build to, kinda like the "soundblaster compatibility" that all sound cards had to implement in the pre-Windows 80's.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X