Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to run an IDE drive and a SATA drive in RAID.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to run an IDE drive and a SATA drive in RAID.

I recently went to My Computer to check the amount of space I hadn't consumed on my HDD and found that I only have 19 out 80 gigs remaining. I have a motherboard (I can never remember the model #) that supports RAID, but i was wondering if you can run a SATA (which is the kind of drive I want) with an IDE (which is the kind of drive I have) in RAID. I really need to know this if i'm every gonna buy a new drive. Post what you think about another 80gb.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Is it possible to run an IDE drive and a SATA drive in RAID.

Are you running them in RAID for data redundancy, or speed? If you're going for speed, it's probably not worth it; if one drive cuts out you lose everything, and for games you don't get a boost at all.

If I was buying a new hard drive, though, I'd get way more than 80 gigs. You can get them for about a dollar per 2 gigs if you wait for a sale, and you can never have enough storage.

Comment

question is do you have IDE raid on your MB. If so you can hook your IDE Hd up to it as just a single drive like i do and then put your other drives on SATA.

I have IDE raid on my MB so it makes it nice, i can have upto 12 IDE devices hooked up to my MB, and they dont really have to run in raid, just IDE channels. I have 2 HD on Channel one IDE and 1 HD on RAID channel 1
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Are you saying that RAID is mainly for SATA as in IDE drives will automatically function as one drive if configured correctly?
        The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
        83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

I think he's just talking about different IDE channels and stuff, not automatic RAID configurations with IDE drives.

Comment

RAID is a concept and isn't dependent on a certain type of drive.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

It was originally conceived as a data redundancy solution for servers. For consumers, it has become a gimmick to increase performance. It may or may not improve gaming performance but it's best if you choose the same type of HD. I'm not sure if you can use SATA and IDE drives together but it's not a wise choice.

If you want to use RAID 0 just to combine multiple disks as a single letter drive, you may want to look into JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). It puts the drives in an array but does not stripe the data. So if you lose one drive, whatever data that is on the other drive will be intact.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

JBOD sounds good thx for all the help ! This aspect of RAID always confused me.

I

Comment

Avoid RAID unless you know what you're doing. Just use the drives as two separate drives. Recently MS added the ability to "mount" one drive to a subdirectory of another. So for example you could create an empty C:\Games directory, attach the 2nd drive to that directory, and everything in that directory would be on the 2nd drive.

I just bought some USB external drives for the office to use for backing up my servers, and they were remarkably cheap. $150 for 250 GB. And looking at their website it looks like Best Buy overcharged me! :p

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10468

These have Seagate drives internally, so I don't feel bad about buying an "off" brand.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X