Help/comments on new PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/comments on new PC

As much as I like shopping for a new computer, it also is one of the worst things ever. After changing my mind for a 19th time, I'm very strongly leaning towards this setup:

Case - Antec P180 ATX Advanced Mid Tower Aluminum Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS W/ USB & Audio Ports

CPU - AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core Processor S939 Denmark 2.0GHZ 2X1MB L2 Cache 90NM 64BIT Retail

Ram - OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink

Motherboard - ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe ATX S939 Xpress 3200 Crossfire DDR 2PCI-E16 2GBLAN SATA2 Sound Motherboard

Video Card - Powercolor Radeon X1900XTX 650MHZ 512MB 256BIT 1.55GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I VIVO HDTV Video Card

HD - 2 x Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.9 8MB 11MS SATA2 NCQ RoHS Hard Drive in Raid 0

Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music 24BIT Sound Card

Optical Drive (Have external burner) - LG 16X Black DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE UDMA33 INT OEM

Power Supply - Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT 620W ATX12V V2.2 20/24PIN Modular Cable Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been building this computer for the past week trying to get the most out of my money and I've pretty much hit my budget cap at $2,475 CAD taxes and $10 promo shipping included. I honestly don't think it can get any better than this but please tell me if it can (without busting the budget obviously). I went for an ATi setup because the crossfire mobo and X1900XTX are on sale this week.

One thing that bothers me is I can't figure out if my X-FI will fit in the board with 2 vid cards installed in Crossfire. I'll only have 1 vid card for a while, until I feel the need to buy the 2nd one, but I don't want to have to buy another mobo then. Also, the 620W PSU should be plenty but I've heard Crossfire eats up power like crazy and you may actually need more than that... =/ I'll have my G7 charger, G15 keyboard drawing power from it.

Thanks <3

Re: Help/comments on new PC

Not going to wait a couple more months for M2?

Comment

Hey Kilrogg, very nice setup. You've definitely done you're research with this one. Do you intend to overclock?

If not, you might get some better performance for your money by stepping down to an X1900XT and even using OCZ Value Ram in place of the Platinum. If you do intend to overclock, then I think you've got it perfect.

Just guessing, I would expect the 620W Enermax to sufficiently handle two X1900XTX's. If you want the best available, go with the 510W PCP&C. The PCP&C should blow away the Enermax, but isn't modular and is slightly more expensive.

Of course, there's always the 850W PCP&C for those with the largest e-thingies.

Even with two X1900XTX's on that motherboard, you should have two free and fully operational PCI slots. An X-Fi should fit in fine. Take a look at the pic for details.

Edit & Editorial: I wouldn't wait for M2 unless you're going to wait for quad cores.
      Last edited by Nikolas; 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Very nice indeed.
        Have you also thought about this psu?, it comes highly recommended :)
        What monitor did u get/have?
        Last edited by Just G; 05-01-2006, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
          Edit & Editorial: I wouldn't wait for M2 unless you're going to wait for quad cores.
          Why not? I think in the long run you'll be able to keep up with technology while saving some money. Then again my computer budget is only half of Kilrogg's. I'm also looking to build a new computer sometime this year. I plan to wait for M2, since I'm in no dire need to upgrade right this instant - though it would be nice (p4 2.4ghz 6600gt 1.5GB ram).

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not waiting for AM2, I've read a lot on it and the performance increase is minimal for what will probably be more expensive. My monitor is a Viewsonic 2025WM 20.1inch widescreen LCD, I got it for my bday 3 weeks ago and it's so very nice.

I'm planning to OC yes that's why I picked the Opteron since it's cheaper and can reach same speeds as the more expensive X2s, I won't have custom cooling but every review I've read says you can OC safely a good amount on stock cooling anyway.

Comment

have you given any thought to the 10000 rpm Western Digital Raptor series?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136012

I realize many people are sensitive to a specific Mfg of HDD. I built a mid-high end gaming rig last year and chose a 74 gb Raptor. I'm usally one of the 1st in game on BF2 and while this is not the end all of criteria I think it says something useful.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Have you thought about hard drives with 16MB cache? They should be only slightly more expensive.

Comment

Also, why are you considering RAID 0? If your objective is a performance increase for games, you'd be better off without RAID, since striping the data like that doesn't help for load times or anything like that.

Comment

The power supply should be good for another card. I think you just have to connect it to the correct line. Plus, the Enermax Liberty did really well in a recent stress test. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1932947,00.asp

I'd say ditch the RAID. Riyker has one and sometimes when he crashes, the array has to rebuild itself and he ends up waiting 45 minutes. He can still do stuff but you can't really game while the harddrives are verifying data. Plus, that's just with RAID 1. If something bad happened with RAID 0, you could spend hours reinstalling everything. The funny thing is sometimes I load Raven Shield maps faster than him on my old 120GB 8MB Western Digital.

The 74GB Raptor is a good choice if you don't mind the small drive. Just get a 250GB for storage. Although, I would probably get a 16MB cache drive since my 120GB is just for games and it's got 100GB used.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If you are going to get the small drive, I've heard that they only run faster when they have at least half of the HD free, but the load time diffrence is small compared to what more RAM and a good GPU will do.

Comment

Well, a 16MB cache and a 10,000 RPM hard drive should net you some gains over a 7,200 RPM 8MB cache hard drive, but if that means buying a really small one and having NO space free (bad) then you should just go with 8MB. Lots of hard drive stuff is a lot more useful for things like video editing than it is for game loading.

Comment

I think you will be happy with this setup. I also agree with the above comments about raid. I built a new pc last fall and I love it.

I have the same case...love it.
                          I have the same power supply and all is good.
                          I have an ASUS mb.
                          I have 2g ram and don't regret buying it.

I run max on bf2 and cod2 without any problems.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd just say if you're doing SLI make sure and research the power supply. Even though it says 620W it may not provide the power you need on the 12V rails, or even if it says it does it may not actually handle the load without shutting down under hard gaming. Try to find one online that's actually been stress tested by one of the websites like andtech, toms hardware, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I went for Raid 0 cause I heard it was faster. I make BF2 maps and saving/loading a map in the editor takes forever because there's so many files so I figured Raid 0 would speed it up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X