computer switches itself off!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer switches itself off!?

I have has new soundcard installed in my computer the creative xfi fataltiy, now i got it back from the shop fri night and computer was fine, saturday the computer just kept switching itself off when i loaded up teamspeak and BF2 and xfire sometimes. old soundcard disabled.

I got it to work for maybe an hour sat night when i decided to use fraps so alt ctrl to desktop loaded up fraps went back to game and cpu switches itself off again!

Now sunday evening it was prefect no switching itself off or anything, but last night it was doing it again, even when nothing was running

I know the cpu shop updated bios and all the other stuff so wondering if it could be to do with that?

No error messages come up when it reboots after switches off. I did wonder if my misses had a remote control for it at 1 point cos she was laughing!

580w viper powersupply
    abit fatlaity an8sli mobo
    2 gig ocz ram, 4 this week
    7800 gt, sli this week
    creative xfi fataltiy soundcard

Im taking cpu back to my local shop this week to have another 7800gt and 2 gigs of ram in so im gonna ask then, just wanted some feedback into what it might be

Any advice grealty appreciated.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: computer switches itself off!?

Uh... that's really weird.

Maybe like, it's your PSU? 580w ought to do it, but I've never heard of "Viper" so maybe it's not a very good one? If it's not rated for SLI you'll have to replace it anyways, so you might see if that fixes your problem.

Comment

Does it actually turn off or just reboot? Rebooting is windows crashing and restarting itself... shutting down is.... the devil's work.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
        Uh... that's really weird.

Maybe like, it's your PSU? 580w ought to do it, but I've never heard of "Viper" so maybe it's not a very good one? If it's not rated for SLI you'll have to replace it anyways, so you might see if that fixes your problem.

My apologies its hiper not viper, 80 so it should be pretty good, its also rated for sli.

Originally posted by Bhack
        Does it actually turn off or just reboot? Rebooting is windows crashing and restarting itself... shutting down is.... the devil's work.
        Yes it actually turns off, as if i was doing it myself, when i turn on again no error messages or anything come up when windows has loaded. I cant understand how it would work 1 day then not the next then work again the next day!

Comment

Are you sure you didn't mess with anything when you put the soundcard in? Dislodged any heat sinks or power cables?

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
            Are you sure you didn't mess with anything when you put the soundcard in? Dislodged any heat sinks or power cables?

I didnt put the card in, i wasnt that brave, where i buy all my parts from the local shop, he does it all for me. You reckon it could be along those lines?

Comment

Does the machine actually turn off off, or does your screen just go black and you have to turn the machine off/on to reset things?
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                Does the machine actually turn off off, or does your screen just go black and you have to turn the machine off/on to reset things?

Yes the cpu turns off off

Comment

Originally posted by Rock
                  Yes the cpu turns off off
                  Break out the holy water. Seriously.

Comment

I dunno, but I wouldn't go sinking more money in to it this week if you can't get it stable. Hold off on those upgrades until you figure things out.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

Do you have a cat and a power strip with a rocker switch?
                      sigpic

Comment

Ive had a over heading PCI card shut down my system before. Is that sound card right next to the Graphic card or no. If it is maybe its getting to much heat off the Graphic card and is causeing shut down
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

There's a couple of things that could be wrong, but in your case, I'd take it back to the place that installed your sound card and tell them you think they broke something. It may just be another part gone bad, but the problem started after they did work on the machine, so they need to check it out. And for free. :)
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

good point tarpan, make sure they dont charge you to fix the problem.
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                              Do you have a cat and a power strip with a rocker switch?

hmmm, not sure what you mean to be honest?

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                              Ive had a over heading PCI card shut down my system before. Is that sound card right next to the Graphic card or no. If it is maybe its getting to much heat off the Graphic card and is causeing shut down

Yeah sound card is underneath graphics card.

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                              There's a couple of things that could be wrong, but in your case, I'd take it back to the place that installed your sound card and tell them you think they broke something. It may just be another part gone bad, but the problem started after they did work on the machine, so they need to check it out. And for free. :)
                              Yeah i will do, he is kinda of a mate who owns his own shop so no worries there.

Its kinda strange, been playing BF2 most of night and not one shut down, so probably tommorrow night it will play up. Cpu in shop thurs to have other card in, so i will say sort out this prob first before you put other one in

Thanks alot for your advice guys

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...