Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues opening ports to host a game of GRAW.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues opening ports to host a game of GRAW.

Just got the full release of GRAW and tried to host a game but no-one could see my server. Can anyone recommend the best way to forward the ports thru my Linksys WRT5RG-S to let others see my server? Thanks!
    Beatnik

Re: Hosting coop GRAW games - which port to forward?

I just realized this is in the wrong forum. Moderator please move to hardware/software discussion.

Thanks for the reply - I'm trying to figure out which ports will be required right now. I've ID'd the GRAW port, but apparently Gamespy uses a slew of other ports as well. :/
    Beatnik

Comment

Issues opening ports to host a game of GRAW.

Ok this was accidentally posted in the wrong forum last nite, so here is my question again, with some additional info I've found:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got the full release of GRAW and tried to host a game but no-one could see my server. Can anyone recommend the best way to forward the ports thru my Linksys WRT5RG-S to let others see my server? Thanks!

I've found the port for GRAW Sever - 15250

Also, I just found this online, from the GameSpy Arcade website (not sure how relevant this is):

Working Around the Firewall / Proxy

If you are behind a firewall/proxy and are able to change its settings, Arcade needs the following TCP ports open in order to function:
      6667 (IRC)
      3783 (Voice Chat Port)
      27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
      28900 (Master Server List Request)
      29900 (GP Connection Manager)
      29901 (GP Search Manager)
      13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
      6515 (Dplay UDP)
      6500 (Query Port)

So do I need to forward these ports, or are there only a couple I need to fw? Obvs IRC and Voice Chat don't matter, but I've got no idea about the others. These are for Gamespy Arcade too, which may or may not be the same Gamespy as is used in GRAW.

Thanks for any help!
      Beatnik

Comment

Re: Issues opening ports to host a game of GRAW.

Moved and then merged.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Local Ports
          UDP 15250
          UDP 13139
          UDP 15250

Remote Ports
          UDP 15250
          TCP 80
          TCP 6667
          UDP 13139
          UDP 27900
          UDP 27901
          TCP 28910
          TCP 29900
          TCP 29901
          UDP 29910
          TCP 29920

Comment

Beat; the easiest way with the Linksys routers (I have a Linksys, granted it's old) is simply to pick one port BELOW the lowest port and one port ABOVE the highest port and forward to/from as necessary.

In your case you'd log into your router, go to advanced, and then forwarding. Enter in the name/label (Ghost Recon). In one of the slots you'd enter 3782 in the from section, and 29902 in the to section. Then click UDP AND TCP. Then enter your firewalled IP address, such as 192.168.2.1. Then click enable.

This will fwd. all ports from 3782-29902 from your visible IP adress to your actual. People commonly forget to open the port below the ones they actually need, this sometimes helps.

when you're done playing you can simply un-click enable to close the ports back up.

This is assuming your port list is correct, you could always try Bhack's if yours dont work.

DMZ is another way to do it but I'm not sure how.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7
              Beat; the easiest way with the Linksys routers (I have a Linksys, granted it's old) is simply to pick one port BELOW the lowest port and one port ABOVE the highest port and forward to/from as necessary.

In your case you'd log into your router, go to advanced, and then forwarding. Enter in the name/label (Ghost Recon). In one of the slots you'd enter 3782 in the from section, and 29902 in the to section. Then click UDP AND TCP. Then enter your firewalled IP address, such as 192.168.2.1. Then click enable.

This will fwd. all ports from 3782-29902 from your visible IP adress to your actual. People commonly forget to open the port below the ones they actually need, this sometimes helps.

when you're done playing you can simply un-click enable to close the ports back up.

This is assuming your port list is correct, you could always try Bhack's if yours dont work.

DMZ is another way to do it but I'm not sure how.

DMZ is the easy way. You pick one IP and all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                Ok this was accidentally posted in the wrong forum last nite, so here is my question again, with some additional info I've found:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found the port for GRAW Sever - 15250

Also, I just found this online, from the GameSpy Arcade website (not sure how relevant this is):

Working Around the Firewall / Proxy

If you are behind a firewall/proxy and are able to change its settings, Arcade needs the following TCP ports open in order to function:
                6667 (IRC)
                3783 (Voice Chat Port)
                27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
                28900 (Master Server List Request)
                29900 (GP Connection Manager)
                29901 (GP Search Manager)
                13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
                6515 (Dplay UDP)
                6500 (Query Port)

So do I need to forward these ports, or are there only a couple I need to fw? Obvs IRC and Voice Chat don't matter, but I've got no idea about the others. These are for Gamespy Arcade too, which may or may not be the same Gamespy as is used in GRAW.

Thanks for any help!

So, did opening these ports solve your problem?

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

You don't need all these ports open inbound to host a GRAW server. Most of those ports listed are for OUTBOUND communication to GameSpy. Unless you're using egress filtering you won't need to bother with all of those ports. Typically, there will only be one or two ports actually needed to host a server and you should only ever open the minimum.

FWIW: When I was hosting a server yesterday I didn't open ANY ports inbound but at one point had 9 people playing. GameSpy tends to keep it's "foot in the door of the firewall" with many games so you can host online without fussing about the ports and GRAW seems like it may be one of them.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                    You don't need all these ports open inbound to host a GRAW server. Most of those ports listed are for OUTBOUND communication to GameSpy. Unless you're using egress filtering you won't need to bother with all of those ports. Typically, there will only be one or two ports actually needed to host a server and you should only ever open the minimum.

FWIW: When I was hosting a server yesterday I didn't open ANY ports inbound but at one point had 9 people playing. GameSpy tends to keep it's "foot in the door of the firewall" with many games so you can host online without fussing about the ports and GRAW seems like it may be one of them.

Good. Thanks for the info.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Apo which ports did you have forwarded? The only way I've been able to reliably get people to see me is to open up the DMZ while hosting. I'd obviously like to open up only the necessary ports, and the DMZ is a lot riskier solution than I'm comfortable with.
                      Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                        Apo which ports did you have forwarded? The only way I've been able to reliably get people to see me is to open up the DMZ while hosting. I'd obviously like to open up only the necessary ports, and the DMZ is a lot riskier solution than I'm comfortable with.
                        I didn't forward any. I will fire up the server later today and run an nmap against my machine and see what ports the server is listening for.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

That'd be much appreciated. Thanks!
                          Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                            I didn't forward any. I will fire up the server later today and run an nmap against my machine and see what ports the server is listening for.
                            I'd be interested in this too. we have no choice but to deal with gamespy because you cannot join a GRAW game based on IP address. You have to have all this garbage opened up. I will not host unless we use Hamachi or someone figures out the exact ports because I'm not going to go DMZ anymore.

Good old original GR, 2346-2348. Why must gamespy suck so much?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X