Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name that problem! (or, why did my computer die?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that problem! (or, why did my computer die?)

OK, so how bad is this? Surfing on my desktop, when all of a sudden, my screen goes blank.

"Random reboot" I think. "Great" Not so. Isn't a reboot. Fan is still going, no beeps for the new POST or anything.

Reset button: nothing. Holding down the power button to force shutdown: nothing

Flipping the power supply switch turned it off, but when I tried turning it back on, the situation wa the same: no POST, fans running, power and reset buttons do nothing.

I'm fearing the worst, but I want verification from you enlightened people first.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: Name that problem! (or, why did my computer die?)

Ah, the joys of owning a computer.

I've gone through 3 motherboards, 4 power supplies, and 1 video card in the last 6 years. Nothing like forced upgrading!

The coolest was when one of my powersupplies CAUGHT ON FIRE and smoke was billowing out from behind my PC.

But, my advice is to do the ol, start pullin [email protected]#$ out till it POSTS routine.

Comment

LOL BHack - that's what you get for buying PSU's from a guy sleeping on the street!

Poker, BHack is right - you'll have to "do the ol, start pullin [email protected]#$ out till it POSTS routine."
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by BHack
        The coolest was when one of my powersupplies CAUGHT ON FIRE and smoke was billowing out from behind my PC.
        LOL! Maybe you should stop buying power supplies out of the back of vans in Mexico.
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I don't suppose the fact that I've not added anything in months mitigates the pull #[email protected]% out dance.

Blargh.
          [volun2]
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

do you have a card reader installed on that PC?.....update your drives lately?....what have you installed in the last week?....

could be your memory could have gone bad, or it could be the DM NS you keep playing
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              do you have a card reader installed on that PC?.....update your drives lately?....what have you installed in the last week?....

could be your memory could have gone bad, or it could be the DM NS you keep playing
              The closest thing I've done to install anything is Hamachi (which was running at the time of the failure, and had been for about 36 hours grand total beforehand). I was not actively using the Hamachi network at the time of the failure. Hamachi, being a software solution (and not even set to run on startup) is not high on my list of suspects at the moment.

Nothing else is plugged into my PC that hasn't been plugged in dozens of times before without issue, nor has any new hardware been installed since I got a new HDD about 9 months ago.
              [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                The closest thing I've done to install anything is Hamachi (which was running at the time of the failure, and had been for about 36 hours grand total beforehand). I was not actively using the Hamachi network at the time of the failure. Hamachi, being a software solution (and not even set to run on startup) is not high on my list of suspects at the moment.

Nothing else is plugged into my PC that hasn't been plugged in dozens of times before without issue, nor has any new hardware been installed since I got a new HDD about 9 months ago.
                Computers do things like that. I usually blame it on myself for never hooking up my PC to a UPS. Power spikes, argh.

Comment

Check things in this order: Monitor, video card, system board. My money is on one of those three, with the respective bets at $2, $10 and $5.
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

My money is on the Mobo (with a short sidebet on your CPU). When my old Mobo died on me I was in the middle of a videogame and the screen just went black. I did everything you did...but it wouldn't come back to life. It was, as I suspect yours is, a fried mobo...

Comment

unplug the power supply, flip the little switch on the back and press your power button, this will discharge all the power in the system. remove the battery on the MB and press the button again, which will clear the bios. put everything back to getther and try to turn it on.....not saying it will work but it might
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

I'm betting CPU or motherboard - same thing happened to my last comp. Everything running fine, then bang - dead, one toasty fried motherboard.

Comment

I'll put my virtual money on CPU.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                            I'll put my virtual money on CPU.
                            I find CPU's harder to kill. Motherboards are like love bugs in front of an 18 wheeler though.

Comment

Yep, I vote MB. If it was video wouldn't you still get the POST beeps, one of them indicating video issues?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X