SyncMaster 191T Monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SyncMaster 191T Monitor

My brother is selling his monitor for about 290, which is a great deal for that particular monitor. Im trying to persuade my parents into buying it, but im not sure if i even want it.

Its an LCD, so my brother warned that there may be "ghosting" issues with it while playing games. Does anyone else find this problem with their LCD monitors?

Re: SyncMaster 191T Monitor

I have a samsung 930b and notice little to no ghosting with it. I don't think it's a big deal with my particular monitor, but my dad who has an lcd monitor from dell (not sure what brand) has a tremendous amount of ghosting when he plays C&C zero hr.

I found that this LCD has a 25 ms response time (http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...91t/index.html) and would usually produce a sigificant amount of ghosting. Though there isn't really a standard for response time, from what I know, the lower the better so as to not produce or reduce ghosting. For an avid gamer, a 25ms response time is not going to cut it, but for basic internet surfing etc. it should suffice.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Date first available at Amazon.com: April 23, 2002
      Buy something newer. $290 is way too high for a 3-4 year old 19inch monitor that probably will have ghosting issues since the response times were not as good as they are these days.

p.s. Consider going widescreen.:)
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I have dual SyncMaster 191T's hooked up to my computer. I have seen these numbers and claims that you have to be below a certain response time to avoid ghosting but I do NOT have a problem with ghosting on my 191T's.

I think there are other factors involved other than just the 25ms response time that play into ghosting and that number alone shouldn't be considered the be-all and end-all of that determination.

I would agree that $290 is a bit high, but if you could talk him down to around $225 I think you'd get yourself a good score.

I paid $800 each for these two 191T's (thank you tax return!)
        Last edited by Apophis; 05-06-2006, 09:54 AM.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Response time is basically a joke number. Different monitor manufacturers measure it in different ways, like going from white to black or from gray to gray or from white to black to white again or a million different ways. The only true way to figure out if a monitor ghosts is to look at it in action.

Comment

I agree, you have to look at the monitor to get a good idea of whether you'll notice ghosting or not. I tried a Viewsonic monitor that was rated at 25ms response time and I saw ghosting. I returned it and got a Samsung with a 12ms response time and I'm happy.

The price however is way too high for a monitor that old. Just to give you an idea of the current price, I saw yestday that Fry's Electronics had a Samsung 19" monitor with 8ms response time and analog and digital interface for $260 after $50 rebate. Now you may think 8ms response time is great, I'm sure that number was tweaked by the marketing department to be as low as possible, so take it with a grain of salt. Really the best way to judge a monitor is to look at it. So if you do buy one, make sure you can take it back hassle free if you don't like it.

Comment

I have a Samsung 19in 914v with 12ms response time and I experience no ghosting but like everyone else has stated I think the price is to high. I got my monitor brand new for $191.00 after a rebate so if you do some shopping I think you can find something cheaper and maybe even of higher quality.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FriedFish
                I agree, you have to look at the monitor to get a good idea of whether you'll notice ghosting or not. I tried a Viewsonic monitor that was rated at 25ms response time and I saw ghosting. I returned it and got a Samsung with a 12ms response time and I'm happy.

The price however is way too high for a monitor that old. Just to give you an idea of the current price, I saw yestday that Fry's Electronics had a Samsung 19" monitor with 8ms response time and analog and digital interface for $260 after $50 rebate. Now you may think 8ms response time is great, I'm sure that number was tweaked by the marketing department to be as low as possible, so take it with a grain of salt. Really the best way to judge a monitor is to look at it. So if you do buy one, make sure you can take it back hassle free if you don't like it.
                The 191T is a pretty high-end LCD monitor. There are a lot of LCD monitors these days that still don't compare to my 191's. One of the best features of my 191's are their ability to swivel to a portrait configuration. They are also very bright and not as prone to glare as some of the cheaper LCD's.

In any case, I'm not saying that it's worth what's being charged, but you need to consider quality as a factor when comparing monitors. I've had these suckers for years and still don't have a single dead or stuck pixel in either of them.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I got a 191t also and yes I paid $800.00 a few years back brand new at Comp USA, to be honest it was the best investment computer wise I ever made. Sweet picture very bright and it makes anything look awesome. Never had a ghosting problem. My wife thought I was crazy to pay that kind of money a couple of years ago but I didn't care !!
                  Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...