Thinking about transplant/upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about transplant/upgrade

I'm pondering a mobo/cpu replacement and I'm looking for suggestions/tips about what issues I need to consider and problems I'll encounter.

I have an ASUS mobo with a P4 2.8 Ghz processor, looking to replace with a (???) mobo and AMD 4400 dual core processor. Although I'll probably have to replace my power supply (430 watt now) to accomodate the new video card (AGP in current mobo...PCI-e in the new mobo), I can recycle my memory, DVD, Hard Disk and other ancillary components.

I seem to recall some advice from this forum or somewhere similar that a transplant of this type is not a simple thing...i.e. that it's not bootable after the new items are installed. I'd hate to have to pay Geek Squad or someone similar to handle this for me, so any help will be appreciated.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Thinking about transplant/upgrade

Hey, good plan switching to AMD.

I've been looking at a similar thing, only I've found it gets complicated. I wanted to replace my motherboard, which meant replacing the processor, which then meant a new case, then from AGP to PCI-E, then a new power supply, non-OEM windows, etc etc
    Pretty soon it looked cheaper to replace the whole PC.

Looks like your system is probably better set up for upgrading hardware-wise, though, so such may not be the case. Could you post your complete specs?

You may run into a few hiccups with drivers (as is the case with windows), and a few gaps-i.e. new board without integrated audio, sound card needed. Again, I couldn't tell you with the info there.

I'm not sure. but I think there might be a few things to bear in mind during a switch to 64-bit...anyone?

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 243RCAC_ImaCelery
      Hey, good plan switching to AMD.

I've been looking at a similar thing, only I've found it gets complicated. I wanted to replace my motherboard, which meant replacing the processor, which then meant a new case, then from AGP to PCI-E, then a new power supply, non-OEM windows, etc etc

Looks like your system is probably better set up for upgrading hardware-wise, though, so such may not be the case. Could you post your complete specs?

You may run into a few hiccups with drivers (as is the case with windows), and a few gaps-i.e. new board without integrated audio, sound card needed. Again, I couldn't tell you with the info there.

I'm not sure. but I think there might be a few things to bear in mind during a switch to 64-bit...anyone?

Good luck!
      My windows is a retail version, so that's not an issue. New mobo (to be selected) will likely be high end ASUS or ABIT with integrated everything so sound card is non-event. New video card will be ATI X-1900 XT 512 Meg (single card). AND...I suspect that the physical installation is the least of my hassle for this project.
      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

I just built a rig for my friend in which we kept the HDD, DVD ROM, and his memory. Slapped in a different mobo and cpu (my old ones) and a new evga 7300 gfx card. His PC has some hiccups because we didn't wipe his HDD and reinstall windows, but otherwise it runs pretty well. This may not be the case for you however. The only reason I haven't done a fresh install of windows is because he doesn't have the cash to get another OS, and doesn't have his old disks.

I would recommend the asus a8n 32 sli delux if you're switching out the mobo and slapping a 4400 cpu. that's what i have and the thing rocks!!
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

There are a couple of companies that make 939 socket motherboards that have both an AGP, and a PCIe slot.

Can't post links yet but I found them at NewEgg.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ATX AMD

ECS K8T890-A (1.0A) Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD (only has 2 184pin Memory slots)

MACH SPEED VIPER-MK8-939 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD

Comment

Originally posted by beep
            I can recycle my memory, DVD, Hard Disk and other ancillary components.
            Beep, it would be well worth the money to buy another hard drive and to start fresh on that hard drive. Before you upgrade, move everything that you need to save from your old hard drive into a backup folder OUTSIDE of your Documents and Settings directory. Once your upgraded PC is up and running smoothly with a virgin install of Windows, you can add your old hard drive into the mix, transfer that backup folder over to your new hard drive and then wipe your old hard drive clean and use it for additional data storage. 200meg SATA hard drives only cost around $60-70, so I think it's well worth the expense to avoid other potential headaches and gain the extra storage space.

Now, if I could just get a SATA hard drive that won't crap out on me after a couple of months...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yea, if you're not worried about the physical parts changeover, the only hiccup would be that XP doesn't always like to boot when you switch the HDD's. Simply formatting beforehand and reinstalling is all that it takes to correct. (or a solution such as Cing proposed)

As for power supplies, depends on the quality of that PSU. If it's a decet-quality brand, 430W is more than enough to power a single CPU single GPU machine, despite what some people think. Particularily if you have no overclocking plans, and you don't require all the fingers on two hands to count the fans and lights inside your case ;)

Still, if you have the money, I'd always reccommend upgrading to a new quality brand PSU. Fortron Source is my current brand of choice, though I've also had good luck with Antec's in the past.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'm pondering a mobo/cpu replacement and I'm looking for suggestions/tips about what issues I need to consider and problems I'll encounter.

I have an ASUS mobo with a P4 2.8 Ghz processor, looking to replace with a (???) mobo and AMD 4400 dual core processor. Although I'll probably have to replace my power supply (430 watt now) to accomodate the new video card (AGP in current mobo...PCI-e in the new mobo), I can recycle my memory, DVD, Hard Disk and other ancillary components.

I seem to recall some advice from this forum or somewhere similar that a transplant of this type is not a simple thing...i.e. that it's not bootable after the new items are installed. I'd hate to have to pay Geek Squad or someone similar to handle this for me, so any help will be appreciated.
                You can try a repair install.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by 243RCAC_ImaCelery
                  I wanted to replace my motherboard, which meant replacing the processor, which then meant a new case, then from AGP to PCI-E, then a new power supply, non-OEM windows, etc etc
                  Beep's upgrade list looks good. I don't see how a new case would be necessary with this type of upgrade. I'm pretty sure the ATX standard hasn't changed much so the old case should be useable.

Beep, I'd recommend a full format and reinstall of Windows. It's nice to start fresh when replacing a motherboard. A repair install would also work if you want to save time. A new hard drive isn't necessary. You can always get a SATA harddrive later. A couple of years ago, I replaced my motherboard and processor. I did a format and reinstall without any problems. Several months ago I bought a new HD and reinstalled Windows on that to use as my primary drive. The only complications I see is reinstalling Windows or doing the repair.

I agree with Spyder on the PSU. If you got a good quality one, it should be able to supply enough power for the new processor and video card. You only run into serious power problems with dual video cards. Depending on the current quality of your PSU, 430W should be enough unless you're getting one of those new 7900 GTX or 1900XTX cards. Although, the worst is instability which can be fixed by a new PSU.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                    Beep, I'd recommend a full format and reinstall of Windows. It's nice to start fresh when replacing a motherboard. A repair install would also work if you want to save time. A new hard drive isn't necessary.
                    Right, my suggestion was only if there's a lot of data on the old hard drive that he doesn't want to lose...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      Right, my suggestion was only if there's a lot of data on the old hard drive that he doesn't want to lose...
                      That's true. I didn't think of what Beep's setup is like. I have my drive partitioned with my data separate from the OS. It's a lot easier if I ever have to reinstall.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Hmmm....I was hoping to avoid a reinstall of windows. I KNOW it is better all round to have a clean install, but I hate the tweaking and tailoring of a new install to my own comfortable way of doing things. Transferring data files isn't so bad, but setting up all the menu bars and other personal things is a pain.
                        Beep

Comment

Hmmm....I was hoping to avoid a reinstall of windows. I KNOW it is better all round to have a clean install, but I hate the tweaking and tailoring of a new install to my own comfortable way of doing things. Transferring data files isn't so bad, but setting up all the menu bars and other personal things is a pain.
                          Yep, but if you want your PC to run right, you should do it at least once a year...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                            Beep's upgrade list looks good. I don't see how a new case would be necessary with this type of upgrade. I'm pretty sure the ATX standard hasn't changed much so the old case should be useable.
                            Yeah, he should be good with his existing case. In my situation I would have had to replace mine since it was a Micro-ATX Compaq box with poor ventilation.

Comment

You should do a fresh install of windows once a year? never heard of it, but maybe i should follow that advice.
                              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...