Need a new laptop for work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new laptop for work

So I need to buy myself a new laptop for work, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations... It's for engineering (embedded software development) work... So my main consideration is a CHEAP system with a FAST cpu. Screen isn't too important since I'll be using external LCD's... so video memory would be nice....

I've used IBM Thinkpad's and Dell Latitude's and they're both ok.. anyone have any other ideas?

Re: Need a new laptop for work

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42p that I really like. If I had to buy a new laptop, I would probably get a new Apple MacBook.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have an older work laptop, a Thinkpad T30, but have been very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        I have an IBM ThinkPad T42p that I really like. If I had to buy a new laptop, I would probably get a new Apple MacBook.
        unfortunately with the dev-tools i use, I'm tethered to windows :/ i'll check out the T42p :icon14:

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
          unfortunately with the dev-tools i use, I'm tethered to windows :/ i'll check out the T42p :icon14:
          You can run Windows on the MacBook in addition to OSX. :) That's why I've been considering the switch.

As far as IBM ThinkPads go. IBM doesn't make these any more, it's been sold off to Lenovo. The current ThinkPad model is the T60. Some models of the T60 include scanning fingerprint biometrics. The scanning method is much better and more reliable than the imprint method and allows you to authenticate yourself to just about any Windows application or web site with your fingertips.

Comment

In a few months Intel Merom will be out. This is what I have been waiting for because I also need a laptop for work. I don't buy laptops often so I want this to last. My laptop would not be for gamming otherwise I would have to wait even longer.

Intel Merom

Introduced: 2006-08-XX

Description: Mobile processor succeeding Prescott-M and Yonah built on a 65 nm process. Accompanied by the Crestine chipset. Recent rumours claim that Merom is a major new core design with multiple cores and, depending on version, 2-4 MB of cache, which will also form the base for the next desktop chip, Conroe. Said to consume about 45W.
            Earlier said to launch in 05-H2 or 2007.
            Merom is part of the Santa Rosa Centrino platform, succeeding Napa. Said to be used in future Macs.
            Bus speed to go up to 800 MHz in 2007-H1.
            Will be named T7600, the T7400, the T7200 and T5600.

Quick Specs

Bus speed 667 (later 800) MHz
            L2 cache 2-4 MB
            Process 65 nm
            Core speed 1.83 - 2.33 GHz
            Power 45 W (ULV:9W)
            Type Mobile w IA32e
            Core Merom
            Pipeline 14 stage
            Last edited by troublesome4u; 05-16-2006, 03:50 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

here's what I went with:

Dell Inspiron E1705

Inspiron E1705:
              Intel(r) CoreTM Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)

LCD Panel:
              17 inch UltraSharpTM Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLifeTM

Memory:
              512MB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
              (will buy 2GB of DDR2 667 from newegg for $160)

Video Card:
              256MB NVIDA(r) GeForceTM Go 7800 (huzzah!!)

Hard Drive:
              60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Network Card:
              Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Combo/DVD+RW Drives:
              8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Sound Card:
              Integrated Sound Blaster(r) Audigy(r) ADVANCED HD Audio

Wireless Networking Cards:
              Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Primary Battery:
              53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Additional Battery:
              80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery

Sub-total: $2,025.00

with $750 off $1999 inspiron coupon: DHVNPQVH294STT (expires 5/18)
              with free 3-day shipping

(http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/11...9,39613,.shtml)

Comment

Sounds like a really good deal man.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                  here's what I went with:

Video Card:
                  256MB NVIDA(r) GeForceTM Go 7800 (huzzah!!)
                  Are you sure this is for work?:b
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis
                    Are you sure this is for work?:b
                    hehehe... well the little guy on this shoulder says that when I'm working, I run dual monitors and usually have 10+ apps open at a time, so I need the video memory... and the little guy on this shoulder says it was only an extra $50 for the 7800 (over the base x1400), so I why not make those boring business trips a little more entertaining ;)

Comment

Sounds like you got a great deal and some good hardware. I have always liked Dell Laptops and my only problem with them have ever been in the battery department. Every Dell laptop I've had (4 to date) have always needed premature battery replacements. But the hardware has been top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                        This man speaks the truth. Even the low-end MacBooks are top quality hardware that now dual-boot to Windows.

I have been a Mac man for a very long time now and won't work on anything else. PCs are for games and people who love troubleshooting :p

At least have a look at the Macs. You'd be surprised how much they've come of age as far as software availability and cost-effectiveness.
                        Only thing is, the Macbook only has integrated graphics memory :(

I was thinking about it, but I'd want to run Final Cut Pro.... so, I'm considering the macbook pro... big jump in price, tho

Comment

Doesen't the new Macs run i386 compatible hardware? In that case I don't see the reason to cash out for the extra profit margins Apple puts on their hardware. The only special thing you get on the Macs would be design(I admit they look sleek....) and the OS.
                          Last edited by PanzerHans; 05-22-2006, 12:16 PM.
                          --
                          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

yeah for the same hardware, the iBook's were running nearly twice as much!! I think it'd be cool to have a dual-boot, but for the price, it's hard to shell out an extra $1,000 to $1,500 just for the ibook form-factor. :/

Comment

A collegue of mine ordered RAM (512MB) for his Mac laptop from apple in Norway. He ended up paying more than twice as much as bying the RAM on an online store. The ram from Apple was 1200 Nok, on the online store it was 490. The ram was DDS SO-DIMM PC2700 512MB CL2.5 NON-parity.

I believe Apple preys on users that are not interrested in the inner workings of their computer, tricking them to pay more for upgrades then they should.

Edit:Regarding reliability I suppose they have good QA and selects well known components for their systems. This is much the same as IBM did(Leonovo now) and they made really durable laptops as well. But then again IBM was/is probably as expensive as Apple/Mac.......
                              Last edited by PanzerHans; 05-22-2006, 12:42 PM.
                              --
                              VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...