No announcement yet.

Asus A8n32 SLI vs. P5N32 SLI

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus A8n32 SLI vs. P5N32 SLI

My system is 2+ years old and is ready for a swap/upgrade. I want to be able to run
    a game like Battlefield 2 on my system so I know Iím going to need some power.

Iíve been looking at motherboards and processors and like the ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe.
    All of the reviews seem to indicate that itís a very good board that could last two years or so.

But, I like Intel processors. So I looked at the Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe.

Am I wrong, or does this motherboard seem to be lacking compared to the A9N32 SLI?

Another issueÖ.

The AMD processors seem to be confusing as to their labeling vs. processing power vs. cost. Can someone give a good comparison or recommendation for a 2+ GHz processor for gaming. My understanding is that itís more RAM and video card for gaming. I donít need an upper end processor.

Iíd appreciate any comments from people who have experience with this.

Re: Asus A8n32 SLI vs. P5N32 SLI

You are correct the one thing it lacks would be DDR2, the P5N board supports it and it would be quicker then the DDR. Right now the P4s have realy dropped in price, you can get a nice proc for surpriseingly cheap and not suffer any preformance. Alot of people say AMD is a better gaming chip, havent figured out why, but i guess its just a matter of preference. Now you are wanting an AMD chip this one
    is compareable to the one i listed for the intel, but this one is more cabbage. Guess it all depends on what you want to do.

Did that help or did i just compound the issue?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.

"A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?"

A friend of mine just bought this plus a motherboard for $200, and with the stock heat sink he's running (with dual-cores mind you) at 3.2GHz... INSANE!!

I'm very close myself to picking up that Pentium 805 D referred to by WhiskeySix from the Tom's Hardware article. I just haven't decided which MB to go with for it. The ability to OC up to 4GHz is intriguing but I'd be happy with less using stock cooling....esp in light of dual core. It certainly is worth a look!

Hey, thanks for the response...

Frankly, I don't know if that helped or not...

On the chip, the 3800 means exactly what? It has a 2G clock speed, that i get, but the
          3800 or any of the other AMD labeling seems odd. I don't pretend to be a hardware geek,
          I'm into programming software...

I'll "Favorite" that webpage for when I actually go to the shop to order. My quess is that
          he'll have his opinion two. Hey, ask 10 guys and you get 11 opinions.

Bottom line, as long as the motherboard and processor can handle BF2 and do the other
          real work, I'll be happy. As far as the video card, there's plenty of past discussion on that
          that I can look up.

Thanks again.

I've been running an ASUS MB (I believe a predecessor of what you're looking at, even) for the past few years, and it has been a solid performer - however you should bear in mind that I don't do very much stress testing of my system (aside from BF2, hyuk!).

In terms of AMD labelling, it goes like this: a given AMD chip delivers an equivalent number of Millions of Instructions Per Second (MIPS) to an Intel chip which runs at a higher clock speed. For instance, my AMD chip runs at ~2.17 GHz, and it processes the same volume of information as an Intel P4 running at 3 GHz. However, AMD feels that people don't look at the MIPS value, which would be the true measure of computing performance, and instead only glance at the clock speed when making purchasing decisions. As a consequence, AMD labels their chips not according to the actual clock speed of the chip, but according to the clockspeed an Intel chip would have to run at to acheive the same results.

I don't believe I've heard that AMD chips are better for gaming, and I suspect that Trooper is right wherein it has a lot more to do with taste than anything else. On the other hand, there is some logic in the idea that a lower clock speed requires a lower voltage, and lower voltage generates less heat and less heat means one of two things:
            1. Easier to cool exisiting components, can use quieter (lower-speed) fans
            2. Can run other hotter components (ie. video cards) without going beyond your cooling ability
            Of course, this is all just me reasoning on the fly - It may be that there are other computer aspects that I neglected in this rationale.

At any rate, I hope that helps.

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!!!

I have the P5N23-SLI Deluxe mother board and I love it!! It is a overclockers dream as far what you can do with it and how it performs. I have over clocked the piss out of it and it runs as stable as long as I keep it cool.
                My only (and I mean only) complaint is the “fan-less design” part, basically they made the north and sound bridge into a daisy chain of heat sinks preinstalled. It can be kinda awkward when installing some of the larger CPU fans, it did not make a difference in mine due to water cooling.
                Another great thing about this MB was that on the 1st try it picked up my RAID and my SLI setup, something that was easy for a change.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

I've got the asus board you speak of and it's rock solid. Haven't had any problems w/it since I bought it back in feb. I'm not sure about the intel version, but I assume it'll be worth it no matter which way you go (intel vs amd). Just buy the board! lol
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed