Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

"A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?"

A friend of mine just bought this plus a motherboard for $200, and with the stock heat sink he's running (with dual-cores mind you) at 3.2GHz... INSANE!!

from tfa:
    There are still some situations in life that are guaranteed to put a grin on anyone's face, even hard-boiled technical skeptics like us. This particular story borders on being a sensation unmatched in our last eight years of hardware reviews. The news, for those who just can't stand the wait any more, is this: Intel has offered a budget Pentium as part of its processor line-up for a little while now. With a simple modification, however, this CPU can outperform every top-of-the-line processor around.

The bottom line is that the Athlon FX-60 and the Pentium Extreme Edition 965 have both met their match - there's simply no escaping this conclusion! This is bound to cause lamentation among the elite circle of users who've invested big bucks in their high-end systems, if not outright wailing and rending of garments. The basic stats for this insignificant-seeming budget processor read as follows: Pentium D 805 clocked at 2.66 GHz, equipped with two processor cores both with 64 bit support. At your friendly neighborhood retailer you can pick up this secret weapon for pocket change - right now, for example, it's available at newegg.com for just under $130. We were quite amazed as the first performance figures emerged from our test labs: stable operation was possible at 4.1 GHz, and without even the need for substantial boosts to cooling!

edit: just got an email - last night he bumped it up to 3.6 on stock cooling.. sheesh..
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 05-19-2006, 10:07 AM.

Re: A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True?

It can't be. That's why I'm thinking of buying one just to be sure. ;)

The only thing that kills me here is I would need to buy a new video card. I just bought an X850XT AGP card and don't want to spend more money on a PCI-E version. Unless someone wants to buy my X850XT!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that article earlier. It's my next project after finishing the AMD 64 rig I just got the parts for. It's been a looooong time since I brought an Intel chip. Now I got a reason to.
      -33rd- BaneII
      Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Wonder how cheap I can get these for on the employee purchase? Hmm..........

Just checked....can't get that one, but can get the Pentium D 940 for $134, and the 930 for $114.

Comment

I hope this price stays this way for a couple months, i have this down on my wish list so if i get my new job this will be my first purchase. Kind of helps that Vista requirements are out and i now know what to upgrade to
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Okay.. I'm building a new machine based off this CPU. But in the event the CPU is garbage, I've geared the machine to be able to support any of the latest dual core EE chips from Intel.

Here's the system:

Case & Cooling:
            CoolerMaster Centurion 521 Case
            CoolerMaster AquaGate Mini R120 Cooling System

Motherboard, CPU, Memory & Video:
            ASUS P5WD2-E Premium 975X Motherboard
            Intel D 805 2.66G 775 Retail
            ATI X1800XT 512M 16x PCI-E Video Card
            2x 1GB Corsair PC-6400 DDR

Power:
            Enermax ELT500 Power Supply w/ Modular Power

Storage:
            2x 160GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3GB Drives
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

WOW! nice build, im sure you will give a full report when you get all this done and built. Maybe we will see you in games more now? well unless you get baby duty
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

So what's that going to run you Apophis?

Comment

Ha, you beat me to it, Apophis! That's nearly the same config I've been inching closer to putting together, same CPU, MB etc. Maybe I'll wait on your review of the new system now:row__523:

Comment

Doesn't this use something on the order of 260 watts?
                    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Apparently it does use an insane amount of power if OCed to 4.0 or over. I personally don't plan to push it that far since I'm not a performance junkie. OCed to 3.2 or even a bit higher, the stock cooling is adequate and power consumption acceptable.

Comment

The only downside is the slower FSB. It's no surprise that the bottom of the barrel CPU runs at much higher speeds. Not all will do this, but the majority of them will ;) Say "thank you" to high yields and downbinning!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend this. The only way I can honestly recommend a Netburst processor over and AMD processor is if you are getting this over a stock 3800+ or if you are planning on going Core Duo 2 and this is a stop gap.

Mainly since you can't garentee an OC.
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

well after playing with it for just one evening, my friend has it running (with stock cooling) with an FSB of 180MHz = 3.6GHz and RAM at 360MHz.. not too shabby.. he expects to get more out of it tonight when he plays with it a little more (and when he puts a "real" heatsink on it).

I'll post his results after I talk to him later this weekend...

Comment

Cool, Whiskey! I'll look forward to the results.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X