Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Content Management Type Web System

Hey guys,

I am looking to put up a website that has a set of different features and I wanted to see what I could use and what you all thought was the best. First of all, I am running this on a hosted system (freeservers.com, My friend hooked me up with a premium account). Eventually I will be moving it to my home server but not for 6-12 months. That means that I don't currently have console access, just FTP. I have PHP and MYSQL on it. I am looking for it to do the following:

- Have a blog or new items that pop up on the web page.
    - Have the ability to attach to another webpage, with out a whole lot of code changes ( I can code, I just don't like to)
    - The ability to add forums
    - The ability to set users rights and what they see.

Basically I am looking to put a website about my family. I already have a program that takes care of my pictures (albumshaper) so I don't need a album software. The problem with this one is it doesn't make the changes to the website remotely, but that is ok. I want to be able to lock out portions of the site from people who aren't registered.

Thanks for all the help.

Kemo
    Kemotaha

Re: Need Content Management Type Web System

Well, usually Open Source CMS.com (NOT ORG) is the place to go, but they seem to be down at the time.

I've heard good things about word press, but no personal history with it.

I have used Joomla and it is a pain in the ass, but usable. Probably way too much CMS for your needs, but support is decent. It has integration with gallery and SMF forums, although both "bridges" are sortof-hacks. They seem to work though.

Drupal is a solid, although overly complicated (imo) solution. It'll probably give you a headache :D

Avoid PHP Nuke and phpBB. Both are security hole-ridden (exaggeration, but they do have issues) and very popular (thus making them targets of exploits on a weekly basis).

If you didn't need users or forums, I'd tell you to use my own. But you do, so I won't. :P

Me: |

Comment

Marconi,

Where is the demo for yours? It might work. I can add the user stuff fairly easy, by just having a header and adding the user log in stuff.

I am still in the gathering of information stage. So thanks for the ideas.

Anyone else have any experiences with any?
      Kemotaha

Comment

I'll chime in a bit on the WordPress side of things.

Setup is stupidly easy, and it's got extensibility out the wazoo in its new 2.0 line. The main drawback is that it's a blogging platform first and foremost, so things like fora are generally out of its range (unless your definition of "forum" is REALLY inclusive). It does offer user-level control, but I don't know how well it operates on the viewing side of things (I've tinkered with it on the authoring side only).

At the very least, setting it up is painless enough that it's worth trying.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

You might also want to consider Drupal.

http://www.drupal.org

It's what we use for www.tacticalnews.com. It's a VERY versatile and flexible CMS framework with a ton of modules that you can plug in to make it behave the way you want.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Marconi
            Drupal is a solid, although overly complicated (imo) solution. It'll probably give you a headache :D
            Does it count as kitten-killing if it was mentioned in the same thread? :P

I've poked around in Drupal, and I gotta side with Marconi. It's not exactly user-friendly </understatement>, but the tradeoff is that it's otherwise probably exactly what you want. :)
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Thanks Gusy,

I will have to check these out. I am not worried about understanding stuff, since I am big geek. I do understand the value of simplicity though. I will check most of them out and I will let you all know what I go with.

Kemo
              Kemotaha

Comment

Check out EasyPublish. Lots of good stuff there.
                --
                VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

If you want a lot of control with the system and one with AJAX support look into ModX CMS. http://modxcms.com/ Another CMS that I use is e107. http://e107.org e107 has been around a while and has a large support group, but ModX seems to have knowledgable people who post on the forums also.
                  -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X