Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone played BF2 on the Macbook Pro?? (or any other apple)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone played BF2 on the Macbook Pro?? (or any other apple)

I wanted to build a high end PC, and then buy the Macbook (note: not Pro-- just Macbook, thats the 13" ibook replacement w/ the Intel chipset). Now, i see that it can't run final cut pro because it has integrated graphics. Final cut pro would be the main reason that I would want to buy a Mac.

Ok, so now I guess I'm considering the Macbook pro w/ either the 128 MB or 256 MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. If I did this, I would not have the money to buy both this and build a PC to play BF2 on. So, I wanted to know if anyone had played BF2 on one, and on what settings you were able to play?

Thanx

Re: Anyone played BF2 on the Macbook Pro?? (or any other apple)

A friend of mine just got his new macbook, loaded up BF2 with me there, and played singleplayer. We didn't have time for multi-player. He had the 256MB card. Gameplay looked nice. Fast startup, good graphics quality (I can't remember his settings), no errors. I'll ask him tomorrow if he has gone multi with it yet, what his exact specs are, and what settings he is using.
    LoyalGuard

Comment

Awesome! I'll be looking fwd to hearing what his settings are. I dunno if I could afford the 256 MB card, tho, unless I buy from ebay. But, I'm guessing the 128 MB card would probly get me similar settings to what I have now on my Inspiron 6000.

Comment

Now would you have to install XP to play or just install that over the OSx on the mac book, or was it boot camped?
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          Now would you have to install XP to play or just install that over the OSx on the mac book, or was it boot camped?
          Yes, unfortunately, BF2 can't run on OS X, so u would have to download bootcamp, then install Win XP, and then install BF2.

Comment

Hmmmm, this might make me think again about my next purchase....hmmmm indeed
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              Hmmmm, this might make me think again about my next purchase....hmmmm indeed
              lol, glad to have influenced you. Keep in mind that bootcamp will only work up until when Apple releases the new version of OS X, at which point, bootcamp will stop working (dunno how they will make it stop, but they will)-- and you will have to buy the new version of OS X.. but, it will be completely functional with Windows at this point, unlike now, where some things don't yet work. This is what I take from the small print on the bootcamp webpage, but I may be wrong, and it is just them keeping their legal options open.

Also, loyal, ask your friend if he has any driver issues. I know that things like the isight camera won't be functional under XP until the next version of OS X comes out. But, I'm wondering like, do all the buttons on his mouse work (like the right click button and the middle button), does the on-board mic work, and more importantly, does the audio in port work to use his own mic in BF2/ Windows?

Comment

Ok, here's my secondary report. He fired it up again last night and played a little multi-player. He was very happy. Ok, Here are the specs of his machine:

MacBook Pro
                2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor
                2 GB RAM
                ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256 MB

All video and audio settings were set to High, but AA was off (he thinks).

It was all loaded via bootcamp of course. He said that he had no BF2 related driver issues (other issues with the cam and blue tooth as you stated above). No apparent problem with his headset, but, he also said he couldn't hear anyone (on a pubbie so it could be no one was using comms). He said that it took a long time to load, but I'm not sure if he has a good frame of reference since he nevery played it on a PC before and he tweaked from medium to high so it took longer for the shader models, etc. to adjust.

He and I are going to get together soon so I can run it through the gauntlet. I'll confirm settings, VOIP, FPS, mouse binds, and other important features. But, I think the initial take looks pretty good. I'll let you know as soon as I can lay hands on it.
                LoyalGuard

Comment

Man I've been totally thinking about getting a mac now, this is just all the more reason. Considering you can do both now on a mac. I've been wanting to get a mac now since I'm a noob on one to begin with and this would be a good start, being able to boot into windows when need be. Not only that, but I love the pretty colors.

Comment

Originally posted by undead77
                    Not only that, but I love the pretty colors.
                    The Macbook (not Pro) is the one that comes in white and black. It only has integrated graphics, so no games and no Final cut pro on it. If u want games, you'd have to go with the Macbook Pro, which only comes in silver.

Comment

Yaa, I totally agree w/ u Bom-man, that's why I'm so upset about my current computer situation.. I'm on a laptop that can just barely handle BF2. Buut, I wanted my laptop to be an apple & I want to be able to run final cut pro, which the Macbook (not Pro) can't handle. :( I dunno what I'm gonna do..

But, it really looks like the MBP can handle BF2 well.. especially w/ the 256 MB card.

If you're interested in seeing what I mean, go to google and type in "macbook pro" "battlefield 2" ... with the 128 card, it looks like medium settings work well, and w/ the 256 MB card, it's mostly high settings.

Comment

Anything new, loyal?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
                          Anything new, loyal?
                          As a matter of fact my buddy and I got together yesterday. All settings medium (except AA which was off - we'll eventually play with it) and view distance was 100%. His FPS was consistently in the 50's-60's during firefights, 70+ when slow etc.. VOIP was fine, he was just using a standard 3-button mouse so we didn't get to try any custom mouse binds.

We tried tweaking some stuff into high (terrain, dynamic light/shadows) and we did see some dip in FPS.

I don't do much AA myself, so I am not sure the best way to tweak it - but, if you have anything specific you want me to try put I'll see him again on Tues or Weds.

Hope that helps!
                          LoyalGuard

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard
                            As a matter of fact my buddy and I got together yesterday. All settings medium (except AA which was off - we'll eventually play with it) and view distance was 100%. His FPS was consistently in the 50's-60's during firefights, 70+ when slow etc.. VOIP was fine, he was just using a standard 3-button mouse so we didn't get to try any custom mouse binds.

We tried tweaking some stuff into high (terrain, dynamic light/shadows) and we did see some dip in FPS.

I don't do much AA myself, so I am not sure the best way to tweak it - but, if you have anything specific you want me to try put I'll see him again on Tues or Weds.

Hope that helps!
                            Awesome. No luck for me in the new computer department until well after I get back from Spain (the whole month of July). So, all of this is just entertainment for me, for now anyways. But, I just ordered a laptop cooler for my laptop that I play on, so maybe I'll get some better performance by maintaining my heat.

Here's a list of questions:
                            Was he using his VOIP with the onboard mic, or did he plug one in?
                            Can he plug speakers, and/or, headphones, into his headphone jack, and get sound out?

Guess that's it.
                            Thanx.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...