• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD beat by Intel?

Its a sad day:

Hexus.net review of Intel's Conroe CPU VS AMD FX-62 CPU
    Oyee

Re: AMD beat by Intel?

Why is it sad? The consumer ends up with great processors due to competition.

Az
    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Having such a small market of Procs and GPUs have made great competion. Im glad to see The going back and forth of all hardware companies, like AZ said it makes it better for us.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

But I love AMD so much, I hate to have to switch back and forth like that... lol

But as you said, it is better for us in the end, its just... All AMD has for it now is the fact its title looks cooler (FX series) and that saddens me.
        Oyee

Comment

Well, nVidia and ATI have been going at it and it seems ATI has come out on top for the moment. It just pushes the prices lower.

Comment

Since I work for Intel, I like this news. Our stock sucks, it needs a boost :D

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
              But I love AMD so much, I hate to have to switch back and forth like that... lol

But as you said, it is better for us in the end, its just... All AMD has for it now is the fact its title looks cooler (FX series) and that saddens me.
              If you love AMD so much, just stick with AMD. If you're just looking to build the best system you can for your dollar, then go that route.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Ummm. . .so in the only remotely new games (Splinter Cell CT & Q4), the to be released chip beat the existing chip by .88% and 3.67%. Of course, the Intel chip tested may not be the highest performing Intel chip, so we'll have to wait and see.

All we've seen from AM2 - and from AMD in total for the past few months - has been a 200mhz increase in clock speed coupled with a reduction in power use and heat. AMD may be holding something up their sleeve as well. I quote Kyle Bennet from HardOCP:

There are some things we cannot talk about on both the green and blue sides of the fence. Suffice it to say, that if you have a "solid" gaming rig right now and are satisfied with it, now is the time to wait and see the next couple of things to roll out from green and blue teams.

*NDA: I hold no affection for either company. May the best processor win!
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

With INTC at around $18/share, this would be a good time to buy if you really believe that their chips are going to outperform AMD going forward. The stock has been hammered lately due to AMD's perceived gains in the market.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                    If you love AMD so much
                    I totally expected this to be followed with:

"... then why don't you marry them."

:D

I'm not attached to any hardware manufacturer. I just pick the one that best meets my needs at the time.

AMD has inspired some odd fanaticism. The place where I buy most of my computer parts defined themselves as an AMD shop at one time, and it only took a few months before the stupidity of that decision became obvious, as Intel came out with the latest and greatest thing. I guess some people just have the incorrect view of AMD as David to the Intel Goliath.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Im in the same boat as you icky, what ever brand has the best bang for the buck thats what im going to get, goes for CPU or GPU. FriedFish and I where looking at the new price list for the new AM2 chips, really interesting, alot cheaper then its current generation of CPUs. But i still like the Pentium D chips, dual core 2x2mb l2 cache for $190, thats not a to bad
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                        With INTC at around $18/share, this would be a good time to buy if you really believe that their chips are going to outperform AMD going forward. The stock has been hammered lately due to AMD's perceived gains in the market.
                        yeah, I'm sitting on a buttload of options I've been waiting to cash in.....oh how I wish it was still $27/share :(

Comment

Originally posted by icky

AMD has inspired some odd fanaticism.
                          Its not different then anything ATI/Nvidia/Intel/Apple have created.
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                            I totally expected this to be followed with:

"... then why don't you marry them."

:D

I'm not attached to any hardware manufacturer. I just pick the one that best meets my needs at the time.

AMD has inspired some odd fanaticism. The place where I buy most of my computer parts defined themselves as an AMD shop at one time, and it only took a few months before the stupidity of that decision became obvious, as Intel came out with the latest and greatest thing. I guess some people just have the incorrect view of AMD as David to the Intel Goliath.
                            I'm not tied to any manufacturer either. There are manufacturers I stay away from, but other than that, I'll go with whatever company is making the best product for the money.

Fanaticism is fanaticism, be it over AMD, nVidia, ATI or whoever. The only thing that vendor-specific fanatics do is limit their own options and bring stress into their lives over things that really should be of trivial importance.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I think what we are seeing is the start of the rough equvalent of ATI/Nvidia. Anyone watching the GPU market knows that it is alot more interesting then AMD/Intel. For the past three years all we have gotten from AMD is 200Mhz jumps. Now with Intel actaully considering them a problem we may start seeing new CPU archetectures every other day.
                              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X