Computer on a stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer on a stick

I just got my monthly Thinkgeek newsletter and they're selling the "Bio Computer-on-a-Stick":

http://www.fingergear.com/bio_computer_on_a_stick.php

It's a USB memory stick that includes a write-protected Debian-based distro and a fingerprint scanner to protect your data. Plug it into any computer and reboot and you've got a networked Linux system with Mozilla and Open Office.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Computer on a stick

I gotta get me one of those to drive the admins at my school crazy for "installing" linux over there windows images and to have access to better programs that what the school thinks we need.
    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

that's HAWT.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

With the exception of the fingerprint scanner, is there anything on this that you can't use a simple thumbdrive to do?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It's got the write-protected area, which keeps the OS and applications from getting infected. You can give this to your mom and not worry about her going to a pr0n site and clicking on the Wrong Thing. ;)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Ooooo. I'll get one.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              It's got the write-protected area, which keeps the OS and applications from getting infected. You can give this to your mom and not worry about her going to a pr0n site and clicking on the Wrong Thing. ;)
              Can't you write-protect directories on a thumbdrive? Or are you saying that there are virii out there that can bypass software protections, and that this computer on a stick has a ROM on it?

Hmmm, I don't imagine that ROM chips are terribly expensive, so I expect that if this catches on, it will have some decent competition soon enough. And with thumbdrives getting cheaper and cheaper, I just might get one of these...

Mateo! TacticalOS on a stick?
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

This has some kind of hardware protection, but I'm not sure if software unlocks it or if there's a physical slide switch. I do know that one can get USB Flash drives with the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  Mateo! TacticalOS on a stick?
                  Sure! Why not? What sized stick you want it to run on? I only have a 1gb USB stick, which is PLENTY for TacticalOS, but I may need to trim it down if you want 512/256/128mb sticks supported.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                    Sure! Why not? What sized stick you want it to run on? I only have a 1gb USB stick, which is PLENTY for TacticalOS, but I may need to trim it down if you want 512/256/128mb sticks supported.
                    Wait, are you saying that you've got TacticalOS up and running?
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X