Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody help? (monitor glitches while web browsing)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody help? (monitor glitches while web browsing)

I have a very wierd heppening.

When viewing certain web pages my monitor will click, go black then re-display. It appears as if the resolution is changing.

This happens mainly when scrolling but can also happen when viewing videos or a flash player is going. Truth is I can't tell what sets it off.

It doesn't happen with all web pages and doesn't seem to have anything to do with complexity or number of images or really anything.

It happens in both Firefox and IE.

Does not happen in games or any other application that I use. I also do software development on this machine and push the limits and far as processor and memory go.

It is most annoying.

System

Winows XP professional service pack 2
    Athlon 3700 XP
    NVidia 6800 GS
    2 gig of memory
    80 gig SATA HD

Any ideas?
    I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Can anybody help?

My guess is that one of your plugs is loose and is getting jiggled a bit and that causes the quick disconnect and reconnect.

Comment

Re: Can anybody help? (monitor glitches while web browsing)

That is what I thought so I checked all my connections. Opened the case. puched everything as hard as I could. But it only happens while web browsing.

Spent almost ten hours two days ago developing and it didn't happen once. Replaced cds, Dropped the keyboard and mouse. Repositioned the monitor. Never happened once.

An I often play games, with alot of body english, for a couple of hours at a time without it happening.

There, just happened again simply typing this message. Didn't even scroll.

Crappity, crap crap.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Wow, that has to suck. If u have a spare monitor around, hook it up. That way, you can see if it is the monitor or your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
          Wow, that has to suck. If u have a spare monitor around, hook it up. That way, you can see if it is the monitor or your computer.
          Tried four different monitors. An LCD and three CRT's.

The worse part of it is that it happens at TG the most. And I live here on my off time!

Comment

What kind of monitor?

The only thing I can think of a browser doing differently from other apps is a big TCP transfer, but email does that, too. I don't think FF yet uses 3D acceleration (a coming side effect of the Cairo rendering system) and I'm pretty sure IE doesn't have that (won't happen until Vista).
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I thought about that too. But much of the development I do is with RPC and webservices. Alot of Complex and big TCP calls going on.

Comment

I know this might be overly simplistic but what about uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest drivers for your video card. I realize it's only while browsing but I don't know what else to suggest.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

This is getting even odder.

I have just been browsing the web for about an hour with non of these hiccups. The difference? I hadn't gone to TG during the entire session.

I come here and the the screen starts doing it's thing. And now the other sites are also causing the screen to click on and off.

And I have done the driver uninstall thing. Tried several versions. No difference.

Hmmmm, maybe my wife has something to do with it?

Comment

You wrote. "I also do software development on this machine and push the limits and far as processor and memory go."
                    Are you overclocking your graphics card also?

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
                      You wrote. "I also do software development on this machine and push the limits and far as processor and memory go."
                      Are you overclocking your graphics card also?
                      No no. I just mean that the development software (IDE, SQL Server, MSMQ ect) uses far more system resources than a browser could ever hope to. So I don't think it is a bad memory module or overheating CPU.

Comment

Have you tried a new VGA or DVI cable?
                        This is a long shot but maybe your power supply is the culprit.
                        Maybe something is wrong with the 2D mode.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I might have missed it, but what kind of video card do you have?
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

He has a Nvidia 6800GS AGP.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                              I might have missed it, but what kind of video card do you have?
                              NVidia 6800 GS PCIe

Sorry for the late reply. Was at conferences last week.

I swapped out video cards (to an ATI x300 or something) and still it happens. Also tried different monitors.

My rate of scrolling on the TG Forums does affect it. If I go slow doesn't seem to happen as quickly. Once it happens it occurs more often.

I am learning to live with it. Mainly by using my laptop or other computers to go to the TG Forums.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X