Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting one of those sprint cards for my laptop...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting one of those sprint cards for my laptop...

I was thinking about getting a network card from Sprint for my laptop, which would allow me to connect to the internet when away from home...

This is there advertisement, is that 40 MB's of usage do-able for just internet surfing, or to low?

Sprint Mobile Broadband Card plans

Slide a Mobile Broadband Card into your laptop and access the web or your corporate data.

$39.99 Flexible Data Plan (40 megabytes (MB) of usage; $.001/kb overage; after $99.99 usage is free/unlimited.)

Anyone have an opinion on these types of service?
    or should I just avoid it?

Thx in advance.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: getting one of those sprint cards for my laptop...

If I recall I believe it offers near broadband speeds. However I could be wrong so I will try to conform that.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I don't know about sprint, but I had a friend who used cingular's internet like that and it seemed like it was a bit faster than 56k, but coverage was good, and could connect anytime, but of course his service was 80$ something a month. Sprints might be better though.

Comment

It only offers broadband speeds if u are in an EV-DO coverage area. Right now, only large cities like Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, LA & such have it, but probably w/ in 5 years most of ur medium sized ones should have it. I wouldn't get any less than unlimited. If u have your cell phone service w/ Sprint, u can get a phone that u are able to do this with (the one that is a copy of the Razr looks pretty nice), and u can tether the phone by cord or bluetooth and access the broadband internet that way, and it's cheaper that going the card route. They call this Phone As Modem or PAM on the website. Go to www.howardforums.com and go to the Sprint thread, there should be many ppl that can help u from experience there.

Comment

Originally posted by undead77
          I don't know about sprint, but I had a friend who used cingular's internet like that and it seemed like it was a bit faster than 56k, but coverage was good, and could connect anytime, but of course his service was 80$ something a month. Sprints might be better though.
          In america, the cdma providers are currently better at the broadband internet service.. verizon is of course on top, but they charge so much more. They probly have better coverage than sprint, tho, but there may be a way to use there towers as well.. not sure.

Comment

thx for all the info, I'll go look and investigate.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

In viewing this forum page, I downloaded 389554 bytes. 1/3 of a megabyte.. So your 40MB would get you 120 TG forum pages (maybe a little more with image caches and such). Is that worth $40 to you?
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                In viewing this forum page, I downloaded 389554 bytes. 1/3 of a megabyte.. So your 40MB would get you 120 TG forum pages (maybe a little more with image caches and such). Is that worth $40 to you?
                I can't speak for him, but I automatically assumed that if I were using this service, that I'd top out at the hundred buck/unlimited plan...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Also, I think Sprint's plans are more expensive than they used to be. Because of that, I say check out Verizon's offerings & see how their pricing compares. I don't know how they feel about tethering w/ a phone. But, if the pricing is similar or just a bit more, I'd go w/ Verizon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X