Cross-platform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-platform

For those of you who are programmers, what tools do you like to use for cross-platform development?

I'm trying to get my head around Boost for non-GUI stuff, and I'm considering wxWidgets for GUI. I might also want to make a web front-end, and am considering Java for that.

My initial platform is XP, and I have VS2005, but I also want to develop for embedded Linux (ie. a little brick buried in an industrial tool, with no keyboard or display).

I've got a lot of C++ under my belt and am comfortable with Design Patterns from the GoF. (I got the GoF CD in my OS/2 days, and read C++ Report religiously. Is there another journal like that that I should be reading today?)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Cross-platform

I'm not a programmer, but a linux hacker.

Cross-platform stuff usually works well if it's based on java, python, or ruby since you can use the runtime environments to run applications without installs. That's a big deal if you are running cross-platform linux to windows.

For GUI stuff, wxWidgets is probably your best bet, but another way to go is to use GTK, the GIMP Toolkit. Gnumeric, GIMP, and Inkscape all use this library, and it has been ported to XP without a hitch. You could also use Java to render the GUI, although this can be a bit unwieldy.

There is another cross platform library, JUCE that can be used for both applications, and for the GUI. It was originally created by the guy who built Tracktion, so it has a multimedia bias, but it still looks pretty useful.

Comment

I have only used it in experiment mode but the Mono project is a crossplatform .NET 1.1
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Any hints on how to set up to build libraries (Linux .so, Windows .DLL)? I'm essentially building a big "headless" library to do most of the work and then gluing various front-ends onto it for UI.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande
          I have only used it in experiment mode but the Mono project is a crossplatform .NET 1.1
          I forgot Mono! Maybe that's because I usually use KDE. :) KDE's motto should be: if it's not QT, it's crap!

Mono's good, I'm just not sure about how it works as an embedded application.

Comment

QT is alas quite expensive to license for a commercial app.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X