mouse failing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouse failing

I decided to post this here (as opposed to the SM-only "User Support" forum) in case non-SMs can add anything to what assistance the SMs offer me.

My mouse is failing on my machine. I suspect the motherboard. The mouse just locks up for 1 to 30 seconds at a time, randomly. While Windows did report last week that it "could not find" the USB Bluetooth adapter I've used for months (I've not taken time to troubleshoot that), the machine continues to perform great otherwise.

Confirmed through testing:

* old and new (backup) mice behave identically, suffering both as USB or PS2 mice
    * both mice perform flawlessly on second machine
    * behavior occurs both in HL and out of game (desktop, notepad, etc)
    * behavior occurs during motherboard temps ranging from 34C to 55C
    * Windows Defender with latest definitions reports a healthy machine.
    * Avast AV with latest definitions reports a healthy machine.
    * mouse never fails when machine is driven remotely via VNC

Is it safe for me to plan on replacing my motherboard? If so, is there any diagnostic ... anything... I can use to confirm that it's the motherboard?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: mouse failing

It seems like it is a problem with the motherboard. It may be the drivers. You could try reinstalling them and see if it fixes the problem.

When the mouse locks up, it just doesn't move or does the mouse have to be redected by Windows? Maybe the processor is being used up and the mouse pauses in that time. Something like that might not be noticed over VNC.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

My problem was somewhat similar. It took three installs of the drives to get it back up and running. My drivers were so out of date at the time. I would try that route first before the motherboard.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I don't know that it would help, but I doubt that flashing your BIOS (regardless of whether or not it's out of date) would hurt...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ugh. I meant to mention in the first post that I've updated the drivers. I'll look into doing that a few more times and flashing the BIOS.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X