Hard Drive Tweaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Tweaker

I run alot of music software, and it's always better to write to a diffrent drive then the os is on when recording. Is it better to install a game on a diffrent drive then the os?

Re: Hard Drive Tweaker

By "better" do you mean faster or less likely to corrupt? Well depending on how much memory you have and how much the progam takes you could be eating into your page file(http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php) and that would be slower. You could put your page file on the other HD. Does the HD support NCQ Native command queing?

Yes depending on variables but not significantly.
    Last edited by troublesome4u; 05-30-2006, 12:30 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

It is difficultto give a general answer. It usually depends on the game. If the game is writes/reads a lot from your harddrive then you can benefit from having the game on a different harddrive than your swapfile exists on. But the speed of the harddrive is the most important factor second to the amount of ram(as troublesome-4u) writes. Also having a defragmentated disk makes a big differense. I've come to love O&O defrag which allows for defragmentation by name/folder. This enables you to put files that lives in one folder physically next to eachother on your harddrive thus reducing seek times.
      --
      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

What I mean by better is that it is less likely to get artifacts in your music that way. Smoother performance. I don't have the fastest drives. 7200 seagate pata. When I build a new pc, I'm going to look at the raptors. I really like the idea of being able to set the folders next to each other. With the defrag app. I play BF2, it is the highest user of ram I run. I have 1gb of low latency ram. I'm wondering how much ram BF2 really uses, or deos it use the page file at all? Using the same logic about putting the page file on a seperate drive. I think If the game is running on a diffrent drive then the os, then the games drive can lower seek times by concentrating on the game and vice versa.

Comment

I can surely vouch for the Raptor drives. I have one in my system. I use it for my OS drive and it is very fast. It is however rather expensive if your focus is storage capacity.
          --
          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I have two 160GB Seagate Sata II in raid 0 for games and don't notice a performance increase. BF2 must take about 700MB+ in ram I think. I pretty sure your using your page file. I have 1GB PC4400 ram OC'ed and @ 2-2-2-5 and BF2 still eats it up.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Damn, no performance increase with that hd set up? Really? What a dissapointment. I thought for sure I could get another few kills with better hds. I guess nice hd setups are only good for load times.

If bf2 uses only 700mbs of ram. Then why would it use the page file if you have 1gb ram? I thought a page file only gets used if a file size is bigger the physical ram?

Comment

Because windows normaly takes up like 200-300MBs just to run with your AV and stuff. Yeah my load times are like few seconds faster. For general use like transfering files between my HD's i get like 96MB/s :).

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

My friend who has 4GB's can switch between BF2 and windows or whatever in the blink of an eye. I also turned his page file off because he doesn't need now.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X