System Memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Memory

Thinking of adding some memory to my system.

Any recommendations in brand? 4 Gig is max but will it ever use that much. How much is the right amount? Does CS2 really provide any noticable "real" world differences over CS3? I'm not interested in bragging about a benchmark score.

I'm running an Asus P4P800E-Deluxe.

Thanks

Re: System Memory

I've had good luck with Corsair XMS. Generally I buy the fastest memory I can as it usually keeps me from needing to upgrade for a while should I get a faster CPU/motherboard/whatever.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Do you know if I pair a couple of 1gig chips with a couple 256's and if the timings on the 256's are slower will it slow down the newer faster chips...."if that made any sense...it did in my head" :row__523:

Comment

I believe you can only operate your memory at the speed of the slowest chips. If you've got 2GB you can put in there, I'd not even worry about the 256's and just leave them out of the machine entirely.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Your system will only operate at the slowest speed of the RAM in your system. If I remember correctly the timings for the RAM are close enough to the new RAM you put in you can manually set the timings in the BIOS to the faster settings and you may do fine if the RAM can handle it stably(sp?).
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

If you are thinking of upgrading to Vista when it comes out you will need at least 2 gig according to CNET.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              I believe you can only operate your memory at the speed of the slowest chips. If you've got 2GB you can put in there, I'd not even worry about the 256's and just leave them out of the machine entirely.
              I Agree with Apophis. From what I know about Intel systems is that there not affected my memory latency as much as an AMD. AMD has the memory controller built into the cpu while Intel uses the northbridge.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

i have 3 gig and i havent had a prob yet