Ubuntu 6.06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 6.06

OK, so I see Dapper Drake has been released.

I installed Breezy on an old desktop we had laying around a few months ago but I'm very new to Linux and it took forever to get the wireless card working, etc. The machine was just too slow to be real usable, even with Ubuntu on it.

That was a few months ago and in the time since I've started leaning to open source in a big way. My desktop machine currently has a 40GB primary drive that I use for Windows XP and a 20GB secondary drive that is basically data storage (pictures, CD/DVD images for virtual drive mounting, etc.).

I've been reading really good things about 6.06 this morning so I'm leaning toward downloading it tonight and running it as a LiveCD to confirm it recognizes everything in my system and then I'd really like to install it on the secondary drive and start using it for everything but gaming.

So, after all that preface, my question is...being a total newbie to this and not wanting to bork my XP install at all, is it going to be the easiest to simply dedicate the secondary drive entirely to Ubuntu or can I easily retain half of that drive for data storage for XP and give Ubuntu it's 10GB to live in?

I know Linux needs multiple partitions, etc. and I want to make sure I keep things isolated in case I decide Ubuntu isn't the one and want to remove it and regain the drive space without screwing up my XP side of things. I think last time I did a dual boot scenario I ran into bootloader problems when trying to remove Linux.

Re: Ubuntu 6.06

Give the second drive to ubuntu. It will be easier, and keep your mind at ease. BTW, if resources are an issue, try xubuntu:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

It uses XFCE as the primary desktop, which is lighter on the resources without sacrificing functionality.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mateo. If I install on my main desktop resources shouldn't be an issue as it's a P4 2.66Ghz, 1GB, 9600XT machine. Since I won't be using Ubuntu for gaming I'm assuming those specs are plenty sufficient.

Comment

I haven't had any problems dual-booting Linux with XP in the past. When I want to get rid of Ubuntu, just whip out the XP CD, go into the reapir bit and put in fixmbr. It will boot into XP where I can delete the Ubuntu partitions and resize the XP one.
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...