A PC that fits into a wall socket. The wonders of technology. :row1_2:
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39272166,00.htm
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Re: Wall socket PC

Damn, Thats cool.

Comment

It mentions connecting the socketPC to a server in order to run "more applications." Presumably they have typical office and home applications in mind, but I wonder if one could use the socketPC to connect to a nice gaming rig. Toss the rig in an office-like room, keep the socketPC in your bedroom - high end gaming with minimal wires.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
        It mentions connecting the socketPC to a server in order to run "more applications." Presumably they have typical office and home applications in mind, but I wonder if one could use the socketPC to connect to a nice gaming rig. Toss the rig in an office-like room, keep the socketPC in your bedroom - high end gaming with minimal wires.
        I believe they were referring to the ability to use Remote Desktop to connect to another machine to do real work. I don't think high end gaming via RDP would work very well. ;)
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
          I believe they were referring to the ability to use Remote Desktop to connect to another machine to do real work. I don't think high end gaming via RDP would work very well. ;)
          Exactly. Although they are talking about Citrix, Terminal Server, and web-based apps, and not Remote Desktop. This futuristic technology has existed since the 80's, when they were called X-terminals. The wall-wart PC is cool, but it really has no advantage over the X-terminals of old.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I was expecting some engineering samples of this a few months ago. There are two models with a total of 4 models lurking in the background. AT least that is where it stood in development almost a year ago. I think I still have some empty-box mock-ups around here somewhere.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by icky
              Exactly. Although they are talking about Citrix, Terminal Server, and web-based apps, and not Remote Desktop. This futuristic technology has existed since the 80's, when they were called X-terminals. The wall-wart PC is cool, but it really has no advantage over the X-terminals of old.
              The Jack PC runs Windows CE, is designed to connect to "any terminal server-based environment" and has Citrix ICA and Microsoft RDP clients built in.
              RDP is Remote Desktop. Terminal Server is essentially the same thing as RDP except with a different function on the server side of the connection. They both run on port 3389. So yes, they are talking about Remote Desktop.

As for it being equivilent to an X-Terminal. What specific type of X-Term are you talking about? I've worked with various X-based terminals but they were always running on either Apollo, SUN, HP or SGI workstations with their appropriate *NIX flavor. They ran as X terminals off a larger server cluster, but they were still fully functional machines on their own. What these boxes have over the X-Terms of old is size and convenience. And considering their potential uses, that is a BIG bonus.

Personally, I think these little machines are a great idea. I would love to throw one in the kitchen with a small swing-away LCD monitor and keyboard. It could be used to look up recipes and stuff easily without having a CPU up there in a cupboard. I could also incorporate a cheap barcode scanner via USB so empty kitchen items could be scanned to create a new automated shopping list.

Having one of these in the living room would be pretty nice too. Hell. I can think of a use for these in just about every room of my house. The real barrier to entry for me would be purchasing all the small flat panel monitors, mounting hardware, etc.

Comment

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS3139003780.html

has some nice pics of it, and some great specs for it.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Looks like I'm doomed to have messy wires all over my desk for some time. :(
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

As for it being equivilent to an X-Terminal. What specific type of X-Term are you talking about? I've worked with various X-based terminals but they were always running on either Apollo, SUN, HP or SGI workstations with their appropriate *NIX flavor. They ran as X terminals off a larger server cluster, but they were still fully functional machines on their own. What these boxes have over the X-Terms of old is size and convenience. And considering their potential uses, that is a BIG bonus.
                    Ugh... My only experience with Unix was maintaining a version of HP-UX on HP machines that had a thinnet with Xterms. It totally turned me off of Unix. The most unstable, picky, piece of crap OS I've ever had to work with. If the comm operators didn't power down correctly, I had to reinstall the entire OS, which was a 10 hour process...

Anyway, I don't see how an Xterm would have the graphics power to provide a pleasing gaming experience, nevermind extra batch of latency introduced by the additional network and data processing.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Personally, I think these little machines are a great idea. I would love to throw one in the kitchen with a small swing-away LCD monitor and keyboard. It could be used to look up recipes and stuff easily without having a CPU up there in a cupboard. I could also incorporate a cheap barcode scanner via USB so empty kitchen items could be scanned to create a new automated shopping list.

Having one of these in the living room would be pretty nice too. Hell. I can think of a use for these in just about every room of my house. The real barrier to entry for me would be purchasing all the small flat panel monitors, mounting hardware, etc.
                      PC Magazine had an article about a kitchen PC here recently. Bluetooth k/m and 802.11 to keep wires away. Here is the article. And, yea, old CueCat for barcode reading. They used a full PC..

I think the Gumstix would be fun to play with. Not sure what I'd use em for, but they'd be fun to play with ;)
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                        Ugh... My only experience with Unix was maintaining a version of HP-UX on HP machines that had a thinnet with Xterms. It totally turned me off of Unix. The most unstable, picky, piece of crap OS I've ever had to work with. If the comm operators didn't power down correctly, I had to reinstall the entire OS, which was a 10 hour process...

Anyway, I don't see how an Xterm would have the graphics power to provide a pleasing gaming experience, nevermind extra batch of latency introduced by the additional network and data processing.
                        Well, don't feel bad. IMO, HP-UX is a picky piece of crap OS anyway. I prefer Solaris, AIX and IRIX far more than HP-UX.

I don't think there's much you can do with these in the gaming world at all. Short of web-based gaming.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X