Setting up Ubuntu: Part 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Ubuntu: Part 1

So, you've heard that Linux is the bee's knees, and you want to test it out. A quick run over to Distrowatch shows that the top distribution of the open source operating system is Ubuntu.

It actually comes in serveral "flavors": the standard GNOME based version, the KDE version Kubuntu, and the XFCE desktop for low powered systems Xubuntu. The core system is the same, only the primary desktop is different.

So you download it. Now what?

First thing you want to do is install it. I chose the GNOME version because it's the most polished of them.

The process is text based, but fairly straight forward. Follow the prompts, don't install over your XP install, and you will be ok.

Sooo cute!

Next, you want to get automatix. What is automatix, and what does it do? It is an automated python script that installs all of the things that most first time Ubuntu users need: Java, Firefox plugins, restricted media codes, Microsoft Fonts, Skype, Nividia/ATI drivers, etc.

Automatix in action.

Select the things you want, and tell the script to go. If you do not know what you want, you can either google every option, or you can install everything and uninstall it later. There is no wrong answer here.

Make sure you install Swiftfox.

You need to babysit this install a little bit. The script will ask you serveral times for your password, and most likely will install Java twice: once for 1.4.2, and once for the latest update. Mostly, it will sit back and hog your network bandwith. Go get some coffee, play Gtetris, or something.

When the script is done, you will need to reboot. This is one of the only times you will need to do this on Linux, and it is because the proprietary drivers (ATI/Nvidia) are fully integrated yet. Restarting allows the kernel to boot the new drivers, and Xorg should start without incident. You know you have it right if you get an Nvidia splash screen as the system starts.

So now what? Well, let's configure WINE. Assuming you want to run some Windows applications on Linux, WINE is the cheapest way to go. There are other options, but I will get to them next time.

To set up WINE, you can either use Automatix, Synaptic, or follow the directions here. All three methods should get you the latest version.

How do you know if it's working? Fire up terminal, and type: wine notepad.

Since I didn't have time to resize this one, if it works, you should see the following:
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/gallery...ormal_WINE.png

Now, before we get to more advanced topics, you need to fire up Synpatic, and go to the Development section.

Now, I know, you are saying "I'm not going to do development!" Hush! Not everything you want to run will be in a nice little .deb package that you can just right click on and install. You may actually have to compile something, and this step will help you later on.

Install the following (at minimum):

gcc
    g ++
    make
    binutils

This installs the full versions of the latest C and C++ compilers, and the make utility for them. Binutils is just a nice package to have, should it ever come up. It probably won't.

Hit apply, and the system will download them and install it.

That's it for the first session.

If you run into any trouble, check the Dapper Drake Guide, or the Ubuntu Forums for answers.

Next time, we will get into advanced Linux-fu, such as setting up teamspeak, and writing to NTFS partitions.

Re: Setting up Ubuntu: Part 1

Man mateo this sure would look nice in its own linux forum..

Nice write up mateo, i might just format my wifes pc to linux just so i can do this. Cant wait to see more.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
      I just saw this video about Ubuntu. Amazing!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65514994593432
      That's the XGL demo, and since that is the official demo, they are probably running Novell's SUSE not Ubuntu, although it is fairly straight forward to install on it.

Yes, all those effects really do work.

Comment

Yeah I deleted it.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
          Yeah I deleted it.
          No problem. It does show what is possible, so you didn't need to delete it.

For those of you that want to go right to extra credit:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=127090

That's some advanced linux-fu right there.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
            Yes, all those effects really do work.
            Wow! Is TacticalOS going to have those? Mostly eye candy, but the "sticky" dockable windows would be nice to have as part of the OS, and the rotating desktop might be useful, too. The thumbnails for app switching is sweet!
            Last edited by CingularDuality; 06-02-2006, 02:13 PM.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Wow! Is TacticalOS going to have those? Mostly eye candy, but the "sticky" dockable windows would be nice to have as part of the OS, and the rotating desktop might be useful, too. The thumnails for app switching is sweet!
              Haven't really looked into XGL all that much. Right now, it is quite young, heavy on the resources, and mostly "flash". Novell, however, is really working to get it ready quickly, since they see this as a real killer app for the linux-desktop. They are, of course, absolutely right.

As for including that in TOS....it would be a nice way of differentiating the system from a stock Ubuntu desktop.

Comment

Man, that makes me want to install Linux!

Of course, Lorian's thread in the General Forum made me want to marry a vague Russian woman. Maybe I should just lay off the coffee a little bit.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

So it automatically adds the dual boot scripting or do you have to add a line to your boot.ini file?

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                    So it automatically adds the dual boot scripting or do you have to add a line to your boot.ini file?
                    If you want XP to handle the dual boot, then you have to tell the installer not to install GRUB to the MBR, and then manually edit the boot.ini file.

Keep in mind, I'm running Ubuntu on a dedicated disk, with no XP install.

You can use grub to boot, since it finds and boots XP perfectly.

Comment

For anyone that wants to see those sorts of XGL effects running on Ubuntu:

http://osvids.com/files/page3-1036-pop.html

Comment

Mateo if you could find an easy way to install ATi drivers in linux that would be great. Im downloading this right now and will probably install it tomorrow on a 40gig drive i have around here some place. Looking forward to your Part 2 of this.... :P
                        -Vulcan

Comment

Wow i might actually buy myself a 2nd hard drive to install ubuntu if i can do that!! Those effects are just incredible.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                            Mateo if you could find an easy way to install ATi drivers in linux that would be great. Im downloading this right now and will probably install it tomorrow on a 40gig drive i have around here some place. Looking forward to your Part 2 of this.... :P
                            Automatix installs ATI drivers if you have an ATI card, although a quick perusal of Transgaming's Forums show that ATI cards are problems, particulalry the latest and greatest, so YMMV.

Comment

It better install those drivers cause 640 x 760 blows for a screen resolution. i tried to do the whole install thru console, that sucked. But luckly i have an older card so maybe it wont be hard. I got it installed now and running off ubuntu.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...