Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's going on with my Adobe Premier 6.5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on with my Adobe Premier 6.5?

I recorded the news with my Hauppage USB TV tuner. It's in a .mpeg format. I open a new project.. I've tried several different project types. I import the file. I can sometimes click the file, and drag it onto the timeline, and sometimes it'll lock up right there. It seems that if I first play the file inside the program, it'll let me drag it onto the timeline and start editing. Ok, so, the one time that it did let me edit, I edited it down to just the duration of my cousin's story. It looked weird in the preview pane, w/ bars in front of it and stuff, but I thought that was just it messing up inside the program.. when I played it inside the program, it looked normal. Ok, so I exported it into a .mov file, and it looks the same way it did in the preview panel, here's a screenshot of how it looks.

I'm not familiar with Adobe Premier, I'm a final cut pro guy, but I'm only able to use that at school, and I just got Adobe for my own computer. It seems to me like maybe the TV tuner uses some kind of encoding that doesn't play well with Adobe Premier. I'm wanting to burn this to a DVD for her so that her son will be able to see his news story when he's older (he was a premy baby), but I just want to edit it down to the relevant part.

Thanks,
    BT

Re: What's going on with my Adobe Premier 6.5?

I suggust you run it through mencoder to get it as a raw AVI file. You can get mplayer here, just extract it to C:\mplayer or something, doesn't really matter. Go into the command prompt (Windows key+R > cmd), and type in:[code]fsutil hardlink create C:\WINDOWS\system32\mencoder.exe C:\mplayer\mencoder.exe[code]Now cd to where the video file is, and type mencoder filename.mpg -o filename.avi -ovc raw -oac raw. It will produce a massive file (GBs), as it will be completely uncompressed, but I find that is the best way to do it. Any question, just ask :)
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
      I recorded the news with my Hauppage USB TV tuner. It's in a .mpeg format. I open a new project.. I've tried several different project types. I import the file. I can sometimes click the file, and drag it onto the timeline, and sometimes it'll lock up right there. It seems that if I first play the file inside the program, it'll let me drag it onto the timeline and start editing. Ok, so, the one time that it did let me edit, I edited it down to just the duration of my cousin's story. It looked weird in the preview pane, w/ bars in front of it and stuff, but I thought that was just it messing up inside the program.. when I played it inside the program, it looked normal. Ok, so I exported it into a .mov file, and it looks the same way it did in the preview panel, here's a screenshot of how it looks.

I'm not familiar with Adobe Premier, I'm a final cut pro guy, but I'm only able to use that at school, and I just got Adobe for my own computer. It seems to me like maybe the TV tuner uses some kind of encoding that doesn't play well with Adobe Premier. I'm wanting to burn this to a DVD for her so that her son will be able to see his news story when he's older (he was a premy baby), but I just want to edit it down to the relevant part.

Thanks,
      BT
      Check and make sure you are the file you output is in an NTSC format and not PAL.

Adobe Premier is a very good app, I've used it quite extensively over many years with some really high-end non-linear video projects I used to do. It took some getting used to over linear editing consoles, but once I learned the software it was pretty smooth sailing.

I'm not sure how Lorian's suggestion converting this to an AVI is going to help you, I couldn't follow the reasoning behind it other than, well, just because.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Where did you get Abobe Premiere 6.5?
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

@Lorian: I thought about converting it to a different file type. I don't think I really follow all of the command promps, tho. Isn't there a way to just convert the file type using a GUI?

@Apop: It was NTSC everytime.

Comment

Considering Adobe premiere 6.5 isnt even created thats pretty impressive. And i would go around saying that to loud.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well. Then again it could just be the quality of video in put that you are getting from the TV or what ever you are recording off of. Trying to make it bigger then it actually can be
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by roygbv (on howardforums)
              I'm partial to FCP as well. But hmm ... any kind of added effects you didn't know about? Or possibly there was a bad connection with the TV Tuner? And I'm not sure, but I've had issues with converting MPEG's to AVI's, so there could be a problem with the MPEG to MOV? Wish I knew more about editing!
              Nope, didn't add any effects. When I watch the whole file in Windows Media Player, it plays perfectly. Although, it seems a little slow loading it. The file is 500 MB. It wasn't just the to .MOV that was problematic, it was for every format.

Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                Considering Adobe premiere 6.5 isnt even created thats pretty impressive. And i would go around saying that to loud.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well. Then again it could just be the quality of video in put that you are getting from the TV or what ever you are recording off of. Trying to make it bigger then it actually can be
                Everyone around here (in my city, I mean) that does video editing feels the same way. No one can afford multi-thousand dollar editing software.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=229534
                http://reviews.cnet.com/Adobe_Premie...-20186000.html
                Looks pretty real to me...

Which drivers are you talking about?

Comment

I suggusted converting it to AVI because if that plays Ok, it will import fine into Premiere. Anyway, mencoder is a very powerful tool that is free, I haven't really found any good alternative. I'm not sure if there are any GUIs avaliable for mencoder. Just use the command prompt, I'll tell you what to do if you get stuck.

EDIT: By the way, tehre are 2 products, Premiere and Premiere Pro, both at different versions, confusing, don't know why they did that.
                  |TG| Lorian

Comment

Thats fine but i wouldnt go around telling the world about it, especially on TG forums. For some reason i was looking at Premiere Pro. Talking about your capture cards drivers, well your GPU drivers while you are at it.

Looking over it i dont think they make just plain premiere anymore...2002 was its last release date, that must have been when pro was interduced
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Ok, thanks Lorian. From looking at their website, I think the program was made for the Linux-types, so they didn't include a GUI, but it looks like some people have made some that you can download. I'll try that.

The tv tuner also came with an .mpeg editor software that I didn't install. I think I'm gonna install that, and try it first, before try converting it with menconder.

thanx.

Comment

Yeah, mplayer is mainly for Linux, but there is a Windows port avaliable, which isn't the latest version, but it works, I haven't had ny issues with it.
                        |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                          Thats fine but i wouldnt go around telling the world about it, especially on TG forums. For some reason i was looking at Premiere Pro. Talking about your capture cards drivers, well your GPU drivers while you are at it.

Looking over it i dont think they make just plain premiere anymore...2002 was its last release date, that must have been when pro was interduced
                          Ok, that's cool. I'm pretty laid back about talking about it, in person anyways.

By capture card, that would be my TV tuner, right? I'm reluctant to update my GPU drivers. If it's working right, I'm not going to update them. I've heard of people having problems after updating.

Comment

Upgrading the drivers doesn't matter now, you can't record the video again.

If you play the mpeg file in mplayer
                            Code:
                            cd c:\mplayer
                            mplayer c:\documents and settings\superdude\my documents\file.mpeg
                            and it plays fine, mencoder will be able to convert it to an avi no problem. It even works with flv (Flash Video) files, which I was quite shocked about.
                            |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian
                              Upgrading the drivers doesn't matter now, you can't record the video again.

If you play the mpeg file in mplayer
                              Code:
                              cd c:\mplayer
                              mplayer c:\documents and settings\superdude\my documents\file.mpeg
                              and it plays fine, mencoder will be able to convert it to an avi no problem. It even works with flv (Flash Video) files, which I was quite shocked about.
                              Ya, same thing I was thinking about not being able to record it again.

Wow, that is surprising. I might go ahead and install and figure out the command prompts for it, cuz I'm sure I'll need it in the future. I found some guides on it, any good ones that you know of?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X