Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

    So my beloved USB headset died on me. So I went on search for a new headset. I tried 2 very expensive, nice analog headset but their microphone just is not loud enough for everybody.

    I have tampered with the sound settings with all the way possible. But there are still people who cannot hear me or say I am too low.

    So I did a little bit of research and found out, even though gamers prefer analog headset for the sound quality USB headsets are the way to to get your voice heard. They transmit the voice digitally while analog headset convert it to digital and then transmit. Also non-gamer people who use their computer for phone calls etc also prefer USB over analog becuase of its clarity in voice transmission.

    Although I heard something about USB headsets eating up CPU or something like that I have never experienced any problem from my side.

    So I am now declaring myself as USB headsetter for life after trying to make it work with 2 different analog jacking headsets... I will never look back again.

    Which one do you have? How do you cope? What settings you have if you have an analog headset? People have trouble hearing you even if you are about to swallow your mic?


  • #2
    Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

    Hey B, I have these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826106346. This is not a USB headset. The sound quality of the ear phones is quite good. I've used them both with onboard sound and an Audigy 4 at default mic settings (I believe that's with the slider almost all the way up in game and all the way up in your regular volume panel) and, as far as I can tell, people hear me fine. I've never had a problem with people telling me to speak up, unless I've forgotten to swivel the mic down to my mouth. Also, when I record myself, the sound quality is pretty good and pretty clear as well. It may be from the noise cancelling mic, but I'm not sure.

    Which analog headsets haven't worked for you?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

      I use both. A USB headset for the mic and a regular analog headset for sound. It might look funny as I have the USB around the neck, but the sound is way better in the analog headset.
      |TG-Irr| Red

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

        Plantronic DSP-300. Enough said, excellent quality and decent price.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

          The sound quality on my USB headset (logitech 350) is great for music and average for games, and the mic is amazing.
          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.



          I
          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

            I've used both the Logitech USB 350 and the Plantronics DSP-500 (USB). I don't have a separate sound card, I've always just used onboard sound, so in my case I get better sound from the USB headsets.

            Between the two I mentioned above, I personally preferred the DSP-500. They are a bit on the pricey side (similar to the Sennheiser headsets) but the audio quality is VERY good and the mic is crystal clear.

            The quality of the Logitech was good but I wear glasses and the earcup covering on the Logitech was leather and it fit a bit tight with my glasses whereas the Plantronics was cloth and felt cooler/looser. For longer sessions the DSP-500 was definitely the more comfortable of the two overall.

            Looks like the DSP series has been renamed and is now the .Audio™ 5XX series. The kids dropped my headset last week and Plantronics is shipping me a replacement because it was still under warranty. I'm hoping they send a .Audio™ 510 since the DSP-500 is no longer shown. :)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

              All microphones are analog. They take and analog signal (sound) and convert it to a digital signal. Just thought I'd point that out.

              As a comparitive. Digital cameras are analog, they take light (analog) and convert it into digital.
              |TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                I use a fifteen dollar logitech analog headset from walmart. I've never had any trouble with either sound quality or people saying they couldn't hear me. Also, it comes with interchangable color plates for the earphones, so you can totally customize! What's not to love???

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                  I love my Sennheiser headset when I don't want to use the external speakers, but I mostly use a cheap logitech headset around my neck for mic only.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                    Originally posted by Lorian
                    All microphones are analog. They take and analog signal (sound) and convert it to a digital signal. Just thought I'd point that out.
                    Yep, the only difference is where the sound gets converted from analog to digital. Using a high quality sound card can't be beat by any USB headset. But a USB headset should be suitable for most uses. I've got a Plantronics DSP-500 and am quite pleased with it. It's plenty good enough for gaming and listening to video clips, but not quite good enough for music.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                      Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
                      I've used both the Logitech USB 350 and the Plantronics DSP-500 (USB). I don't have a separate sound card, I've always just used onboard sound, so in my case I get better sound from the USB headsets.

                      Between the two I mentioned above, I personally preferred the DSP-500. They are a bit on the pricey side (similar to the Sennheiser headsets) but the audio quality is VERY good and the mic is crystal clear.

                      The quality of the Logitech was good but I wear glasses and the earcup covering on the Logitech was leather and it fit a bit tight with my glasses whereas the Plantronics was cloth and felt cooler/looser. For longer sessions the DSP-500 was definitely the more comfortable of the two overall.

                      Looks like the DSP series has been renamed and is now the .Audio™ 5XX series. The kids dropped my headset last week and Plantronics is shipping me a replacement because it was still under warranty. I'm hoping they send a .Audio™ 510 since the DSP-500 is no longer shown. :)
                      Yes, the earcups do hurt like heck with glasses... until u break em in, then they're very comfortable.
                      The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.



                      I
                      #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                      83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                        Originally posted by IRS_Agent
                        Yes, the earcups do hurt like heck with glasses... until u break em in, then they're very comfortable.
                        I had mine for about 6 months and they just never got comfortable. I guess that could be attributed to my big head. ;)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: USB Headset v.s. Analog Headset

                          When I bought this stuff for playing music. I never thought I would be using it for games. I know its probably overkill for just gaming, but the sound is very nice.

                          Mic
                          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...4&src=3SOSWXXA
                          Headphones
                          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...nes?sku=271056
                          Mixer
                          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=631238

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X