adding another gig of memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding another gig of memory

I currently have a Dell 8300 with 1 gig of memory (512x2). I want to add more memory and I was wondering if it will make much difference if I just add two more 512's...or should I get rid of my current 512's and put 2 brand new 1gb sticks.

Re: adding another gig of memory

As far as I know, splitting the RAM into as manyt stick as possible will make it slightly faster, but will limit your ability to upgrade in the future. I'd get a gig stick and leave the 2 512 sticks in.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by rammajamma
      I currently have a Dell 8300 with 1 gig of memory (512x2). I want to add more memory and I was wondering if it will make much difference if I just add two more 512's...or should I get rid of my current 512's and put 2 brand new 1gb sticks.
      If your motherboard supports that dual channel stuff, then you're going to want to take out those two little sticks and put two bigger sticks in... Keep 'em in pairs for 'em to work.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I do understand that...I just didn't know if it made a significant difference if they were two pairs of 512 or one pair of 1gb sticks.

Comment

I do understand that...I just didn't know if it made a significant difference if they were two pairs of 512 or one pair of 1gb sticks.
          I have a dual channel board (p4p800). With the Intel 865PE chipset, you are better off with 2 x 1G sticks than 4 x 512 sticks.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I think that usually (always?) only two slots are set up for dual channel mode.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ya I believe so, if not it will just run in single channel mode. You've got to use slots 2+4 or 1+3 setup for dual channel to activate.

Comment

okay....so two 1gb sticks it is. I'll hold on to the two 512's in case I build a pc for a non-gamer.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Comment

ok.. i have a fairly new system.. i bought new corsair XMS(the ones with the LED activity lights) 2x1GB.. when i was looking at my old system.. i had 2x512mb mushkin budget sticks.. which is better
                  2GB (all low latency high performance)
                  or add the old ram (less than 1 year old)
                  3GB (2x1GB high performance low latench + 2x512 mushkin budget ram)