Power Supply fan speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply fan speed

Guys, I've got a question about an old machine I run here (800 Mhz Duron -- great for piddly stuff).

The motherboard BIOS shows 0 RPM for my "System Fan" and 5000 RPM for my "CPU Fan". Sure enough, when I look in the box, all I see is a fan on the heatsink. The only other fan in the entire box is the power supply, which I've just replaced (and the box is running great).

Here's my problem: the power supply fan speed is stuck at "100%" (that is, it's crankin', and you can hear it). That makes for a nicely chilled system and an annoyingly-audible and largely-unnecessary hum in my office.

Here's my question: can I take one of these cables from the power supply and stick it somewhere on this motherboard so that the motherboard can control the fan speed on the power supply?

K7S5A Manual (PDF)

The power supply is a cheapo 375W ATX. Codegen Spartan Series (Model #: CG-PXA4-2).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Power Supply fan speed

Unless the PSU has a feature that allows the MB to control the fan, I doubt that you could do that without splicing the wires that power the fan.

Right now the fan is probably powered directly from the PSU. You would have to actually cut the wires and resplice them to a cable that connects to your MB (easy, since your "system fan" connector is open, right?).

If you're not afraid to open up the power supply and slice and splice a couple of wires, it should be fairly simple, I'd think.

Opening up the PSU is the only time that I'd recommend unplugging your machine and finding an alternate means of grounding your equipment. There are things in there that can bite you if you're not careful.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would not recommend modifying the powersupply at all. The risk of doing something wrong is certainly there and a shortcurcuit, even on the 12v rails, may break your motherboard or peripheral device(s). Changing the powersupply as a whole unit would be better and shouldn't be too expensive.
      Last edited by PanzerHans; 06-06-2006, 09:40 AM.
      --
      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I think this program MAY work. I'm not positive, but I have a friend who used this for a few things, and he likes it. You may wat to mess around with it and see if it works/helps any. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It's called Speed Fan.

Word or warning though: Don't set fan speeds to 0 :P... I accedentally turned my CPU fan off and the temps rose like crazy until thankfully i was able to restart them back up. Good luck, and hope it helps!

Comment

Speed fan works on mobo controlled fans. As the PSU is not controlled by the mobo it won't work.
          --
          VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

The first thing I did was install Speedfan (I love it on my main machine) on the second machine. It's what clued me into the facts you see presented in the first post.

Oh well. I sure did love how quiet my office was when my main machine was the only thing running, but I run both of these machines 24/7, so I'll just get used to the noise.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans
              I would not recommend modifying the powersupply at all. The risk of doing something wrong is certainly there and a shortcurcuit, even on the 12v rails, may break your motherboard or peripheral device(s). Changing the powersupply as a whole unit would be better and shouldn't be too expensive.
              Well, yeah, this would require a bit more than just plugging stuff in, but if you're comfortable with splicing wires, it shouldn't be a problem at all...

I guess it all comes down to personal experience/skill/comfort with electrical/electronic repair. If you've got your own soldering iron and know how to use it, it's an easy mod. A little bit of heat shrink, a cable from another fan, and no chance of shorting anything... (If you can find or create a safe path to get that new cable out of the PSU to the motherboard.)
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've replaced faulty (or uber-loud) fans on PSU's before, and it is not a difficult task by any means, but yes, you have to be comfortable hacking at wires inside the PSU.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

On this subject,

Does anyone know how to raise the speeds of my chassis fan or CPU fan? My CPU is running really hot.. 154 degrees F. I've had a CPU meltdown before, and don't want it to happen again, so I took precautions. Wyzcrak can tell the story of my little fan, haha. Anyways, anyone know how to raise the speeds to make them a bit faster?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X