Replaced memory modules...now computer won't boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced memory modules...now computer won't boot

I have a Dell 8300 which has 1 GB (2X512) RAM/ 184 pin DDR 400/ 3200 / CL3. I took those out and put in 2 gb's (2X1024) same specs...except CL2.5.

When I turn on computer it won't make it to desktop. When it gets to the page where it says "Dell" and you can go into bios...it just stops right before its finished loading. (Sorry I'm a computer idiot and I don't know what you call that part of the boot up) Anyway, I took them out and put them back in a couple of times to make sure they were seated properly but no dice. Then I put my old memory back in and it worked fine.......until tonite. After trying a few times with the new, then back in with the old, now even the old original memory isn't working. Its doing the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Have I totally screwed up my computer? PLEASE help.

Re: Replaced memory modules...now computer won't boot

Well first of all make sure your working on a non conductive surface or whatever. Try one stick of 512MB or 1GB at a time to make sure that the memory is okay. Clear CMOS. Try again. Try and enter the BIOS.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Thanks troublesome. So working on the carpet is a bad idea, eh? I knew I should'nt have but I just didn't feel like dragging it somewhere. Anyway, is it difficult to clear the CMOS? I have no idea how to do that.

Comment

What is your service tag and or product model as I cant locate a 8300 at Dells website? I wanted to know what type of MB it is an the chipset. To clear the CMOS look for a battery on the motherboard. Near the battery should be a jumper. Switch the jumper from pins 1 2 to 2 3 for 5-10 seconds then switch it back. Make sure the computer is unpluged. Only test on stick of ram at a time to make sure its not bad or damaged ram. Also try different dimm slots once you have tried each individual stick. I've worked on the carpet before just make sure you and your computer grounded.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I know its an intel motherboard and I think its an 875 chipset. I'll look it up when I get home from work. I'll look for those jumpers although I looked last night after reading something on the Dell forum and I couldn't find them. Thanks for explaining how its done. Do I go through the process with the jumpers with or without one of the memory modules in place? Thanks for your help....I hope you will be on tonite when I'm home working on this. I can't stand not having my nightly fix of BF2.

Comment

^^With the memory in place.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

You should grab one of those wrist bands if you work on carpet, you attach it on your wrist and plug the little metal clip onto your computer chasis, works really well.

Comment

Yeah...I'm using one but a couple times I forgot to put it on. I did the switch the jumper and now my computer upon bootup says: "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program."

I don't know how to get to SETUP program. If you have any ideas great....meanwhile I'm going to search Dell's forums....but I can never get an good answer from there.

Comment

Did you put the jumper back to pins 1 2? Does it say that before the bios screen?

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Yes I put the jumpers back in their original position. The message I quoted IS on the bios screen I think. On the top it says "Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03...then below that all the copyright stuff. Then in the next paragraph "Dell System Dimension 8300 Series"...more about BIOS version....then below that the statement about the "Invalid configuration information......"

Thanks ....I appreciate you getting right back to me on this.

Comment

Try pressing F1, F2, ... - F12, ESC, DELETE, INSERT at the BIOS screen. This may take a bit because u might have to restart the computer a few times unless it just sits in the bios screen.
                      EDIT: Not at the same time.
                      Last edited by troublesome4u; 06-09-2006, 10:36 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Thanks again troublesome. No can do. I tried all that and then some. I just guess I have to take it to a local pc repairman. All cuz I was just trying to upgrade my memory....shouldn't be that much of a problem. But....I GOT A DELL!!! @#$&*#@#*&$*!!!

Comment

Let me know what the repair man says please? Is the F-Lock on, on the keyboard?

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

F lock??? Don't know what that is. I did notice that the Num Lock light is on when it gets stuck at post.

Comment

Some keyboards have it if there (F)Function keys have two functions.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X