Setting up a home network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a home network

Need some advice on what I can do to setup a home network with my pc and my gf's laptop. I have her laptop right now so I can update everything and download any programs that she needs.

Problem is I can not directly plug into my cable modem because I have to give the cable company the hardware address of the ethernet card in order to get onto the net. So I am hoping to be able to connect my computer to the net and run hers through mine.

Here is what I have to work with:

My computer : 2 ethernet cards (one on the motherboard, one a seperate PCI card)

her computer: 2 ethernet cards (one wireless, the other not).

Is there any way I can connect my computer to the internet and then connect hers through mine allowing her laptop to connect to the internet? Eventually I will get a router but it isn't necessary right now for me to get one (unless I can not connect her computer to the net without a router).

Re: Setting up a home network

With a router only costing 30 bucks, it'd be well worth the hassel.

Does everything you want and more.

Window's internet sharing CAN work, but in my experience, it's been a pain.

Good luck.

Comment

If this is going to be a permanent setup, go for the router. Some routers can use the hardware address from the ethernet card so your ISP still thinks it's the same computer. Although, you can probably reset the modem when the setup is complete to give your ISP the router's hardware address.

If this is an occasional setup, you're good to go with your current supplies. Connect the laptop's wired card to the PC's second NIC. Then run Windows' networking wizard. It's not too bad to get setup and gets the job done. The only thing is your PC has to be on so the laptop can access the internet.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have a Netgear MR314 wireless router that clones the MAC address of my PC so that my cable modem thinks it (the modem) is plugged directly into the computer that the cable tech registered with my account when he installed my cable internet. It's been that way for a LONG time and it works beautifully.

Wyzcrak
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

There are two main ways you can do this. You can buy a router, clone the mac address, and place that between the PCs and the Modems.

Other way is since you already have 2 NIC's in your PC you can use that as the gateway and connect the laptop directly to that PC's other NIC.

If you wanted to go wireless I'd probably go with the first option.

My network is setup like this:

Code:
          Cable Modem--->Wireless 802.11b router--->My PC
                                                 ==>My Laptop
                                                 ==>My Mom's Laptop
          ---> = Ethernet Cable
          ==> = Wireless Cable
          Last edited by Vinzalf; 02-28-2004, 06:05 PM.
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
            Need some advice on what I can do to setup a home network with my pc and my gf's laptop. I have her laptop right now so I can update everything and download any programs that she needs.

Problem is I can not directly plug into my cable modem because I have to give the cable company the hardware address of the ethernet card in order to get onto the net. So I am hoping to be able to connect my computer to the net and run hers through mine.

Here is what I have to work with:

My computer : 2 ethernet cards (one on the motherboard, one a seperate PCI card)

her computer: 2 ethernet cards (one wireless, the other not).

Is there any way I can connect my computer to the internet and then connect hers through mine allowing her laptop to connect to the internet? Eventually I will get a router but it isn't necessary right now for me to get one (unless I can not connect her computer to the net without a router).
            THIS is what I have and it works wonderfully. It'll allow you to clone your current ethernet card's MAC address (so your ISP doesn't have a clue you're sharing access), and it'll give you room to add two other computers to your network at a later date. There are other options that include wireless, but that'll cost a bit more $$$.

Windows Internet Connection sharing would theoretically work with your existing hardware, but I've never heard of anyone getting it to work properly. For a while I was using WinGate (which would work with your existing hardware) before I bought my router, but the router was well worth the money.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Windows Internet Connection sharing would theoretically work with your existing hardware, but I've never heard of anyone getting it to work properly.
              Zackly... I've seen it once, but that's it.... ;)

Comment

I've used XP's ICS and had no problems getting it to work. I just follow the wizard and everything gets set up properly. The only horror stories I've heard is from pre-XP days. The best is to try out ICS and see if it works. It's not the best solution but you might as well try it out. You intend on getting a router at some point anyway.

Comment

ICS will work. Wingate will work better. But the problem with those setups is that machine B is dependent upon machine A's well being for internet access. Plainly put, that sucks from a design standpoint. If finances are more important than connectivity reliability, the router's not really necessary.

However, if you want your internet on machine B regardless of machine A.... if you want hardware protection from several malicious attacks someone could make on machines A and B from the internet... go with the hardware firewall/router. They're getting VERY INEXPENSIVE, terribly user-friendly, and overall very easy to setup, use, and rely on.

Wyzcrak
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I will eventually get a router but right now there is no need for me to pick one up. I only have her laptop temporarily and I won't make a permament LAN setup until I move up to Michigan. I know I can buy the router but if I can wait 6 months, then maybe a newer router will come out or prices will drop more.

Comment

ya routers are dirt cheap nowdays... I picked up my wireless b router, and a PC-card wireless NIC for under $90, and I've still got about $30 of rebates on the way back.

If you dont wanna surf the internet to find good deals, I know Best Buy is doing some major promoting of wireless now, but you'd still probably be paying more than necessary (I bought from Best Buy cuz I diddnt actually buy it, my dad did, and he hates internet shopping)

reguardless, if you dont want wireless, with their prices down so low.... regular 4 port routers are even lower.
                      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by fr1j0l3
                        Zackly... I've seen it once, but that's it.... ;)
                        I have got 98SE ICS working at home. Check out www.practicallynetworked.com for really good setup guides. The XP version is soooo easy now. Just plug everything in and run a wizard.
                        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

win XP ICS will work fine for temp net connections. If its always setup like that, i would go the hardware router setup as the others have mentioned.

One port on your PC will be the WAN, one will be the Lan, im 100% sure WinXP can do that then share the connection.
                          From Adam Webb

Comment

I think it's good to wait until after you move to get the router. Hopefully, prices for wireless routers will be even cheaper. They tend to have wired ports so you can hook your PC up and then the laptop can access the router wirelessly.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                              I think it's good to wait until after you move to get the router. Hopefully, prices for wireless routers will be even cheaper. They tend to have wired ports so you can hook your PC up and then the laptop can access the router wirelessly.
                              This would be the ideal solution, IMO.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X