Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCZ Memory families

Hey all;

I'm looking at doing a fairly significant computer upgrade in the not-too-distant future, and I'd like some advice from y'all. I would like to put some dual-channel memory into the new system, and I recently bought an OCZ USB drive, which I've been happy with. As a result, I think I will be putting OCZ RAM into the computer. I notice that OCZ has a few different families of RAM, and a fairly significant price difference between them. However, I can't find too many comparisons of the various families, and frankly, I'm suspicious that a titanium-plated heat spreader will really make the difference in performance over a plain copper heat spreader.

What do you all think about this? Please post any RAM wisdom in general.

Dice.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: OCZ Memory families

What are your system specs? CPU, MB, GPU, RAM, PSU, ..... .
    This page gives a description of the Ram series. http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...latinum_series

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Well, currently, I am looking at:

Processor: AMD 64 X2 4400+
      Motherboard: ASRock Dual2 ACP/PCIe
      Memory: 2 GB OCZ dual channel memory (PC-3200)
      Video: Gigabyte 6800 AGP card
      PSU: Antec 500W Phantom
      HDDs: 4 HDDs total, 2x WD Raptor (150GB, RAID0), 2x Seagate Barracuda (300GB, 7200 RPM, RAID1)

And a smattering of third-party cooling solutions, probably VGA cooling from Arctic Cooling and CPU cooling from Scythe or Zalman.

Edit: yeah, I read the OCZ pages on the different families, but it all looks like marketing-speak to me. No numbers (that I saw), and no way to make a comparison. For instance:
      Originally posted by OCZ Platinum Family Blurb
      OCZ knows enthusiasts and what it takes to satisfy their intense, high-performance cravings. The elite OCZ Platinum series offers the latest extreme speeds and is optimized with leading-edge Enhanced Latency and Enhanced Bandwidth technology to deliver the highest overclocks and tightest timings to today’s hardcore overclockers and PC enthusiasts. All OCZ Platinum modules are backed by an industry-leading lifetime warranty and Extended Voltage Protection so system-tweakers can push their rig to the limit without worry!
      Originally posted by OCZ Performance Family Blurb
      The classic OCZ Performance Series delivers first-rate performance to mainstream users who aren’t willing to sacrifice stability with lower quality memory. Selected modules are built with the proprietary OCZ Enhanced Latency technology to improve overall system performance. Extensive reliability testing and a comprehensive lifetime warranty have made the dependable Performance Series a long-time favorite.
      So, I get that Platinum is better. But how much better? $130 better (that's the approximate price diff.)? I don't know. Also, how does Platinum stack up next to Titanium? or Gold? etc...

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

OCZ Is great memory btw.

Comment

This is a PC-4000, 500MHz DDR, 1GB stick running at CL 3-3-2-8 from the Platinum line. ($110 at newegg, $95 after rebate)

Here is a PC-4000, 500MHz DDR, 1GB stick running at CL 3-4-3-8 from the Gold line. ($100 at newegg)

Here is a PC-4000, 500MHz DDR, 1GB stick running at CL 3-4-4-8 from the Performance line. ($100 at zipzoomfly)

The difference is in the CAS latencies.

I know you can't use Newegg, but look at this one and this one. Both are 2GB dual channel kits (2x1GB) running at DDR-400 (PC-3200). The first is $171 and runs at 3-3-3-8 and the second is $160 and runs at 3-4-4-8. For my $11, I'd go for the tighter timings.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I like

G.Skill Extreme F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ 2.0GB PC-4000 DDR Kit.
              If your Overclocking, many have gotten close to 290.

OCZ EB PC-4000 2G 2x1GB Platinum Edition Dual Channel Kit
              If you're staying stock the OCZ has tighter timings.

All depends if you plan on pushing them or not. Another thing to consider is you motherboard and your max vdimm voltage. If it wont go higher than 2.7 or so like as Asrock users, the Gskill wins again because its low voltage. Price on it wins too, cause you dont know if you're OCZ rebate will show up or not and how long it will take, read that on reviews of new egg buyers.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

The timings aren't the same across the families.. So don't see platinum and assume 3-3-2-8. But, for the same speed and capacity, the platinum series will probably have the lowest latencies amongst the OCZ families.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed