Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those that installed Vista beta 2.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those that installed Vista beta 2.

Hey all,

Just a couple of questions about the install process of Vista beta 2. Is it possible to successfully do an "upgrade" install over XP?? I've downloaded the Vista beta and burned it to a DVD...but I don't want to reformat my hard drive to install Vista.

Also, for those of you that have installed it...how does it run compared to XP??? I'm curious to try this out.

thanks,

Chappie

Re: Question for those that installed Vista beta 2.

will be installing tonight or tomorrow..... will not "upgrade, but will do a clean install 32bit and a dual boot (with my current xp) of the 64 bit. (will wind up being a quad boot with Ubuntu / Fedora 5)
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I didn't try the upgrade. I just partitioned some exra space and installed it on there. Can't answer your first question.

As for your second question, performance is a mixed bag on my machine. It does seem to be snappier than 32 bit XP a lot of the time. Menus are snappy, the 64 bit version of IE is pretty quick, etc. However, the program is a serious resource hog. Miine runs a ~800MB page file. Because it uses so many resources, it tends to slow down when I'm trying to multi task or have too many windows open at once. You might have a faster computer thn mine, though, which would probably help with this issue.
      sigpic

Comment

I love it when my laptop is pluged in and I can run the cpu at full power, however, on my laptop, when on battery, the cpu runs slower (though supposedly, vista can force it to run at 100%... xp forced it down to 800 and stayed there) if I run up the cpu to 100, then the battery life is worthless (1:15 to be exact) so it IS a resource hog.... with my 2 gig of ram, it would routinely sit idle using 28% of that. It is missing some things, (like a way to edit the boot loader... though it tells you how, the program does not launch... the wireless center is flaky, some 32bit programs do not load on the 64bit version-never tried the 32bit- but this is not huge...) all programs do seem peppy comparted to 32bit xp and the drivers for my laptop were all accounted for on first boot. overall, impressed. office 2k7 has a few issues too, but I am using it almost exclusively now.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X