DVD media help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD media help

I have been burning alot of DVDs lately. Most of them above what a single layered DVD can hold. Unfortunately the DLs I use are expensive (around 80 dollars for 50 using my Best Buy discount MSRP is 120) However this is starting to kill me. I had some Fujifilm DVD+R DLs and things were fine about 5-6 losses (one of those wasn't a failure it was just that I burned something I already had.) but these memorex ones I have are killing them. (The 80 dollar ones)

So far from that stack I have about 15 or so successes and the rest have been failures either burning improperly (the burn is successful but the data is corrupted) or it just fails to burn. Could it be the discs or maybe my drive. I even changed out my drive with a Lite On one and still my only success thus far was a single layered DVD. Any opinions/ideas?

I am thinking about trying out some more Fujifilm DLs to see if the discs are bad or something.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: DVD media help

I use Nero 7 Ultra and Memorex DL DVD +R with NO problems. My DVD burner is an Asus DRW-1604P.
    What software are you using?

First see if there is a firmware update for your optical drive.

Is your burning software screwed up? Reinstall it. See if there is a removal tool.

Is there something else reading or writing to the HD in the backround while your burning? (defragementer)

See if you have or had any games installed with starforce protection.
    MUST READ http://www.glop.org/starforce/

Thats all I can think of right now.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I have just tried everyone you mentioned. (Well getting rid of Starforce and reinstalling Nero.)

About to give it a go wish me luck.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

I just went out to pick up some FujiFilm DVD +R DL. 15 for $50. I'll give these a try and see if they work as well.

Also I reinstalled windows after I beat SplinterCell because it had starforce. There maybe an easier way to get rid of starforce if that is the problem. On the link I gave you there is another link to which games have starforce.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I haven't really looked at the DL discs and never thought about using them because of the prices. The last time I read about it, the quality of the discs aren't as good as the single layer discs. Verbatim seems to be the brand to use for DL. DL is a newer technology and not many manufacturers are making them. There are plenty of excellent archive quality single layer blanks that you could use. The most notable is Taiyo Yuden discs.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=87989

This thread is long but it's all talk about drive and disc quality from CD-R to DVD-R. Digital Dolphin does a lot of tests with various media and drives so he knows what's good quality. You can search the thread or check out the last couple pages.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

MMMM I will try Verbatim next time I need to get some more discs. I just burned and SL to see if the data has been coruppted I just need to go through it.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Double post. Actaully I am going through my SL right now and everything seems fine.
              Last edited by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom; 06-14-2006, 07:49 PM.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Excellent so far so good. I am gonna burn one more and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

If you still have some problems, you might want to lower the burn speed. It may suck to not burn at full speed (ie. 16x) but a slower burn will yield a higher quality disc. I have 16x discs that I usually use at 8x. The difference in quality rating (using Nero disc scan) is huge. At 8x, the quality of the disc is rated at 95%. A 16x burn comes in around 75%. At 16x, the disc is still readable but the life of the disc may not last as long.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Truth be told I am not sure what was the problem still. I think it was my burn speeds/Nero. I was having the odd crash with Nero before I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I am glad it works though. Unfortunately DVD shrink seems to be dead in the water for me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

When Nero crashes what is the error code? Right click on Nero Start Smart, go to properties, click the compatibility tab, Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 2000.
                      Also when you reinstall Nero you may want to use the Nero removal tool.http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Utilities.html

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

^^^^There was no error code it would just stop responding I would end it and then it would refuse to start up again until I restarted.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X