Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a laptop - need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying a laptop - need help

    I'm confused when it comes to laptop CPU's, as they all seem to be incredibly crap.

    For example, should I get a P4 1.8GHZ, or a centrino 1.5GHz? What's the difference between a regular centrino and a centrino M740?

    If someone could explain this gibberish to me in nice, simple terms, I'd be most grateful.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

  • #2
    Re: Buying a laptop - need help

    Centrino is a chipset configuration designed for wireless networking. It's not a chip like the Pentium.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

    Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Buying a laptop - need help

      Originally posted by Root
      I'm confused when it comes to laptop CPU's, as they all seem to be incredibly crap.

      For example, should I get a P4 1.8GHZ, or a centrino 1.5GHz? What's the difference between a regular centrino and a centrino M740?

      If someone could explain this gibberish to me in nice, simple terms, I'd be most grateful.
      Yeah, Centrino is a motherboard design for Intel CPUs. When I was helping a coworker pick out a laptop, the Pentium M was the best out there, but AMD had just released their new mobile chip. I can't really give any other advice...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Buying a laptop - need help

        I have no need for wireless, so Pentium M is the best intel chip to go for?
        BFCL TF2 league admin

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Buying a laptop - need help

          Centrino is an Intel marketing term.. That's it and that's all. A machine has to have a certain type of chip on a certain chipset and have a certain wireless chipset to get that Centrino certification.

          First gen Centrino's used Pentium M's with a 400 MHz FSB, Intel 855 chipset, and Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 or 2200. Second gen is/was 533 MHz FSB, 915 chipset, and Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 or 2915. Current Centrino's use an Intel Core processor (Yonah), Intel Mobile 945 chipset, and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. They can use the Core Duo (Centrino Duo) or Core Solo (Centrino) chips.

          Those Core Duo chips are pretty nice and are probably the current top of the line from Intel.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Buying a laptop - need help

            I have an AMD64 on my laptop. It's power hungry but I don't know how the new Turion mobile processors are like. My friend has a Pentium M and it's great. He can game for almost 3 hours on battery.

            If wireless doesn't cost much more, I'd get it. You never know when it might come in handy.

            - It's who you game with.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Buying a laptop - need help

              I would stick with a Pentium M. You will probably end up getting a 'centrino' cause mostly all laptops now come with wireless. Here is a laptop I recently am probably going to purchase:

              Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook w/ Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, TV Tuner w/ Remote, 17 inch WUXGA+ 1920 x 1200, 1GB DDR2, 80GB SATA , DVD+-RW burner , 256MB NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS, 56k/NIC, 802.11a/b/g wireless + Free bluetooth, XP Media Center Edition 2005 for only $2012 - $750 off coupon + $0 handling = $1262 w/ free shipping

              Hopefully it turns out good. Might upgrade the CPU a little bit

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Buying a laptop - need help

                Originally posted by DrunkenSoul
                I would stick with a Pentium M. You will probably end up getting a 'centrino' cause mostly all laptops now come with wireless. Here is a laptop I recently am probably going to purchase:

                Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook w/ Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz, TV Tuner w/ Remote, 17 inch WUXGA+ 1920 x 1200, 1GB DDR2, 80GB SATA , DVD+-RW burner , 256MB NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS, 56k/NIC, 802.11a/b/g wireless + Free bluetooth, XP Media Center Edition 2005 for only $2012 - $750 off coupon + $0 handling = $1262 w/ free shipping

                Hopefully it turns out good. Might upgrade the CPU a little bit
                my boss just got one of those, and he loves it. Amazing machine right out of the box. Good choice with that purchase.

                Root if you can get a dell, right now they have the best laptops on the market, alot better then HP or Gateway.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Buying a laptop - need help

                  heres the deal....

                  a core duo intel 2ghz is the leader right now in the mobil market for performace/battery life.

                  an AMD64 3400 or 3700 would be a great cpu on the amd side, but battery life will suffer, performance will be ~equal.

                  the real thing to look at is the video card. get the 7900 gtx 256 or the x1900 xt 256 if you plan to do any gaming. they should be PCIe and modular, giving you the option to upgrade later.

                  both the core duo and amd64 solution will have a very short life for the cpu upgrade path as both intel and amd are moving to new sockets later this year. the AM2 will be available on amd, and the conroe I believe will not work with the current chipsets.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

                  If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Buying a laptop - need help

                    Thanks for all the replies guys.

                    As I originally, posted, this ISN'T going to be for gaming. I just need to be able to run open office, firefex, GAIM, mIRC, HLSW and a few other things. Nothing too intensive.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Buying a laptop - need help

                      Originally posted by Root
                      Thanks for all the replies guys.

                      As I originally, posted, this ISN'T going to be for gaming. I just need to be able to run open office, firefex, GAIM, mIRC, HLSW and a few other things. Nothing too intensive.
                      Ah, heck, buy the absolute cheapest laptop you can find at Dell, then... Perhaps stick with the Pentium M or AMD Turion, along with a larger battery, just for more time between charges...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                      Comment

                      Connect

                      Collapse

                      TeamSpeak 3 Server

                      Collapse

                      Advertisement

                      Collapse

                      Twitter Feed

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X