Also building a PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also building a PC

I am a comp noob but have a friend who is a comp genious. i want to compare what he tells me to what my fellow killers at TG tell me.

I have between $750 and $1200 to spend to build (or have someone build) a new "gaming computer.

What would you do? WWJD???

Thanks!!!!

Ben

All I ask for is communication

Re: Also building a PC

Is it for gaming only? There is a new set of CPUs coming out from Intel late next month. You may be well serverd by waiting for that, but patience isn't everyone's game; Keep in mind though that even if you don't want to be an early adopter, the Intel launch will decrease the cost of many AMD chips by around 50%. So there you have it; I recommend waiting until August or so to build.

If, however, you must go now, here's a good setup:

Asus A8N-E 939 Ultra Mobo $95
    AMD 3700+ $210
    X1900XT $400
    Corsiar ValueSelect 2x1GB $170
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB OEM $110
    Seasonic S12 500W PSU $130
    DVD Burner/CD Burner Combo $30
    Case of your choice $80

That comes in at $1225 without keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, shipping or tax. If you want to cut costs, switch the video card to a 7900GT or X1800XT - these vary in price from around $230 to $300 depending on the options. I expect dual-core games (dual-threaded we'll call them) to be released sometime in Q1-Q4 '07, so depending on the benchmarks you may be well served plunking $200 down on a processor upgrade around that time. That's purely speculative though; for the time being, you're wasting your money with dual-cores for gaming.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

interesting. It will be mainly for gaming, but also for photoshop etc...

I will probably go for a lower end vid card, like a 7300+.

I will reuse the cd/dvd burner/writer from my current HP.

I have keybrd, mouse, monitor etc...

I am going to try and do it all for $1000.

maybe a 2.6 GHz 64 bit AMD dual core 4200+
      7800 GT on ASUS A89 SLI Mobo
      250 gig drive
      PCIE Grphix card (7300 +)
      480w power supply
      Coolermaster CM Stacker case

I will try and find some combo deals on Newegg.

Whaddaya think????

Comment

Look at the first build I did: remove the DVD Burner, change the X1900XT to a 7900GT or X1800XT and you're at $1000. You could save another $50 by downgrading the PSU. I wouldn't recommend going below the 7900GT/X1800XT level for video card though - you'd really be shortchanging yourself.

Oh - you want to go dual core now? The 3700+ won't be bad for photoshop, but a DC will definitely be better. In that case, I heartily recommend waiting until the first week of August and asking again. I don't often recommend waiting to people; there's always something cool on the horizon, but this is one time that you should.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
          I will probably go for a lower end vid card, like a 7300+.
          Didn't you just buy a new vid card? Why not reuse that one?

Comment

Because it is AGP

Comment

But, i would sell it if I cant use it as its damn good and brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                Rgr, well you could always order a motherboard with an agp slot (or return it in exchange for a pci express.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                  What card is it Ben? I might be interested...

Comment

Oh, I didnt realize i could put an AGP slot (or should put an AGP slot) on a new mother board. i would like to but if I ever want to upgrade to a better vid card would i be stuck since it will be AGP only?

Comment

There are plenty of motherboards that have both AGP and PCI-E slots. Gixxer comes to mind as someone who has both.

Comment

It is a pinoy 6600GT DDR3, Nvidia. not even 2 months old. Still have original box etc...

Comment

If you're into AMD, try waiting until end of July to build. As an upgrade path, it's better to build a system on PCI-e and AM2/DDR2. Asus has a comparable AM2 mobo for about $100 so the price difference between S939 and AM2 won't be much. DDR2 will cost a bit more now but DDR1 is being phased out since S939 is the last platform still using it.

The ASRock has a mobo that supports AGP and PCI-e for S939 plus has a daughter card to use AM2 CPUs and DDR2. It's probably not worth getting now unless you want to reuse your AGP card now. The AM2 daughter card may not be available in large quantities when you want to switch to AM2. You may end up paying as much as a new mobo just for the daughter card at that point. I don't think it's worth sticking with AGP for a new build. It still has a good card here and there but all the new cards will soon be PCI-e only. I believe the 7800GS is the last nVidia AGP card. If there's anything else, it'll probably be a value card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'd build the machine I just built myself, except save money and not watercool, maybe a less expensive case or recycle my old one, and probably a recycled hard drive rather than new SATA2 drives. That would still give you a pretty bad-ass machine.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Thnx. i will have to take a relook at the machine you just built. i will show it to my comp guys that are building it for me and see what we can do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X