Looking to buy a digital camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a digital camera

I am planning to buy a digital camera. I already have a digital slr (Canon Digital Rebel XT) and my other digital camera is very old (Olympus 1.3 megapixel). I wanted to get a subcompact camera (ones that fit in pocket like Canon Powershot or Sony Cybershot) which is close to but not top of the line (3x optical zoom or more, 5/6+ megapixel) and I am willing to spend about $300 on it. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Re: Looking to buy a digital camera

Sony Cybershot Model DSC-P200, 7.2 mega pixels. Great camera. Bought it for our Mexico cruise last year.

http://www.epinions.com/content_195543666308

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I found this site has tons of information.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have a Canon Powershot 5MP I got off of Dell super cheap and I love it, it's really been an excellent buy.

Comment

http://dpreview.com is also a good camera review site.

Comment

I have checked out many different digital camera review sites, but the review of all cameras are mixed throughout the sites with no clear cut camera being better than another. I just wanted to get some personal feedback if anyone has one of these cameras and is pleased or disappointed with it. Thanks

Comment

You can not go wrong with a Sony Cybershot or a Canon Powershot for that price range.

I, being a professional photographer, have a Canon 1DMKII , but have used many cameras before and have previously had a Sony Cybershot F717 before which was an AWESOME camera but is bigger than a "FIT IN YOUR POCKET" type of camera.

If you can not find one in your price range ... let me know and I may be able to get you one USED from a Photography group that I belong to that has a VERY large BUY / SELL forum.
              |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
              [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

The Cybershot I mentioned above is a great camera. I use it for all my pic's that I take. Have not had any problems with it at all. Depending on what I am shooting I adjust the pixels from vga(e-mail) to 7 Mega pixels. Plus the accessories for the camera make it very versatile.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenSoul
                  I am planning to buy a digital camera. I already have a digital slr (Canon Digital Rebel XT) and my other digital camera is very old (Olympus 1.3 megapixel). I wanted to get a subcompact camera (ones that fit in pocket like Canon Powershot or Sony Cybershot) which is close to but not top of the line (3x optical zoom or more, 5/6+ megapixel) and I am willing to spend about $300 on it. Do you guys have any recommendations?
                  I have that same digital SLR. It's a nice camera, I've been getting some great use out of it.

I also have a smaller Sony CyberShot camera that I like quite a lot. But it's a couple years old and I'm not sure what the newest models are like, but I've had several Sonys over the years including a current DV cam and I've never had any issues.

Ya know, between this and the PS3 thread, I almost feel like a Sony fanboy. lol.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I narrowed it down to a few with my top choices being the Sony Cybershot Model DSC-P200 and the Canon Powershot SD550. Prices come out to be the same when considering I have a 2 gb Ultra II SD card at home (Powershot takes SD). Hopefully I can find a good deal on either of them as college tuition rates are increasing again.

By the way, Apophis, did you get the standard lens that comes with the camera or a seperate one?

Comment

OK, since we're talking about Digital Rebel lenses, what's the difference between standard EOS lenses and "digital" EOS lenses? When we bought our Digital Rebel XT, it came bundled with a "digital" lens, but the telephoto and wide angles from our film Rebel seem to work fine. Am I just not seeing some subtle difference, or is this a marketing ploy, or is there something different that only shows up in certain situations?

Oh, and www.dpreview.com is a great site, too. Not if you're looking for the opinions of your friends, obviously, but otherwise, it's fantastic.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenSoul
                        By the way, Apophis, did you get the standard lens that comes with the camera or a seperate one?
                        I did get a kit lens with the camera, but I bought a couple different lenses after the fact that I use most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          OK, since we're talking about Digital Rebel lenses, what's the difference between standard EOS lenses and "digital" EOS lenses? When we bought our Digital Rebel XT, it came bundled with a "digital" lens, but the telephoto and wide angles from our film Rebel seem to work fine. Am I just not seeing some subtle difference, or is this a marketing ploy, or is there something different that only shows up in certain situations?

Oh, and www.dpreview.com is a great site, too. Not if you're looking for the opinions of your friends, obviously, but otherwise, it's fantastic.
                          I've seen lenses sold under both names, but I don't think I've seen them sold under both names from the same retailer.

Comment

I have helped a few people purchase P&S digital cameras over the last couple of years and in my opinion nothing beats the Canon line.

What you are looking for would be one from the 'SD' line, or Digital ELPH. Maybe an SD630 or SD700 if you want to stretch the budget just a tad. ;)
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

With the Canon line you have the "L" series lens and the non "L" series lens.

The "L" series lens is the PREMIER lens which has superior quality glass which makes the photos come out much clearer and sharper.
                              Also the "L" lens is much faster as far as Auto Focusing is concerned.

Most of the time you can depict an "l" lens due to they are "white" in color but there are also "L" lens models that aren't white but they have a RED STRIPE around the end of the barrel.

"L" lenses are much more expensive then "NON - L " lenses.

I shoot with nothing but "L"

Also a VERY excellent website for reviews and to learn a lot about every aspect of photography is www.fredmiranda.com

I learned TONS from that website ...
                              |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                              [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse